I know this isn't an Apple product but...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pmiles, Aug 29, 2014.

1. pmiles macrumors newbie

I know this isn't an Apple product but I am looking to bounce this off of everyone to see if my thinking is off base or not.

Basically I have an old analog 27" Sony Wega TV. I'd like to be able to stream Netflix or Hulu Plus to it to watch some old TV shows. Because the TV has no HDMI, the AppleTV is out of the question, but the Roku 2 still supports component video and so does my TV. We have no HD DVDs, they are all SD, so I'm not really looking to jump to HD as much as open up my options to streaming content.

So my options are, get the Roku 2 or upgrade everything to HD. My cable box is not HDMI capable nor does it support HD for obvious reasons. We intend to stream older TV series like Xena the Warrior Princess, so the content will likely never be in HD.

Going to HD will finally get rid of that 90lb monster in my living room, but at the expense of a new TV that really only wants HD content delivered to it. Plus I will have to swap the cable box for one that can connect to an HDTV and probably up my cable subscription to include HD programming. All this to watch an SD stream of Xena the Warrior Princess.

Going with the Roku means nothing really changes in my setup other than the Roku 2 box. I already have in-home wi-fi so that won't be an issue. Only thing I'm not 100% sure of is if I can send an HD formatted show to my older TV through the Roku 2. Some shows are in HD and don't offer an SD option, so I don't know if the TV will accept that sort of stream or not. Can't test that on my Apple Cinema HD display since it's already HD.

Eventually I will need to take the plunge as my behemoth will eventually die of natural causes, but for right now, what I intend to watch, is my head correct in thinking the Roku 2 is really my best option?

Thanks for all replies in advance and sorry for posting a non-apple question.

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

There is an option. A first generation Apple TV had component (3 color RCA). They are needlessly pricy though.

The other alternative is that the Roku 2 costs about $70. Microcenter has a 28" Refurbished 720p LCD TV for $129. Not that big of a price difference and you get something more manageable. You might be able to find a used TV on Craigs List or something local for about the same price.

And while you may be happy with Xena in SD, I think we can all agree that Lucy Lawless in Spartacus deserves super duper HD ;)

That CRT has probably lost a lot of brightness over the years too.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I used to have the exact same WEGA TV myself, and thought it was very cool in its day. But I got rid of it 8 years ago. I would replace the TV before doing anything else, a comparably sized modern TV will be inexpensive and so much lighter and thinner, not to mention more energy efficient.

It's been a few years since I've bought a new TV, but my LCD screens also have component inputs. Maybe those are harder to find now? If so, you could probably find a good deal on a used screen that has component.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would also join the crowd of people saying replace the TV. Your cable subscription might go up by about $2 or so for the HD box, but I know with Cox it didn't go up at all. HD programming seems to be free with every provider I have encountered, it's just the box.

I own both an Apple TV as well as a Roku 1, and I do use both tremendously. The Roku 1 is actually on a tube tv, that badly needed Netfllix.

I can honestly say I prefer the Apple TV, mainly for AirPlay from any of my iOS or Mac devices.

5. pmiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all who replied :)

I picked up a Roku 2 today. Works beautifully. I have 2 months free on Hulu Plus. Saving my 1 month free of Netflix until later :)

I think what I love most is that it's no different than watching TV now except that I can watch what I want when I want. The only drawback is the interface... but then On Demand has become a mess to navigate as well via cable. They need to just let you set up your shows online, feed that to the device, then all you need to do is select what it is you want to watch... no suggestions, et al cluttering things up. Sort of like the main channel page in Roku... instead of say Hulu Plus as an icon, it would be Xena the Warrior Princess icon.

And yes, Xena would be great in HD... I'm just watching it to figure out how her trusty steed always managed to be waiting for her at every destination when she clearly wasn't riding it to and fro.

:)

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

No no no, I said Spartacus should be seen in HD :cool: She's still a good looking lady ;)