I know what my Xmas present is...Need Advice!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NDChemist, Nov 24, 2010.

1. NDChemist macrumors newbie

I need some advice, my 3 yr. old couldn't keep a secret and told me "Mommy got you a big new phone!". Since the "new phone" is the iPad I have hinted at for a couple of months I was wondering a couple things:
    1) How difficult is it to activate (my wife is not a real computer guru)?
    2) Should I have my wife try and upgrade to the new ios4.2 before Christmas morning so that I can start playing with it as soon as I unwrap it? I really don't want to spend Christmas morning/afternoon trying to get it up and running since I already know I am getting it?
    Any recommendations from those that have upgraded to 4.2 would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I still have time to get my wife something REALLY, REALLY NICE!!!! :)

2. BrennerM macrumors regular

Since it is brand new (no backup/sync required) and I presume you already have iTunes 10.1 and an iTunes account, it shouldn't take very long to install 4.2 assuming you have a reasonable internet connection (the download is 500MB+).

However server demand tends to be very high on Christmas day so the Apple servers may slow down, this is the only thing that could cause you problems.

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

1) Easy; plug in to iTunes and then follow the instructions. If you need help, then just Google it.
    2) New iPads will come pre-loaded with the latest iOS; however, there are some iPad's with iOS 3 on it - which you probably have. The update is fast and easy, through iTunes, all you have to do is click update and it'll take you through the steps to update it.

4. Warthog macrumors newbie

Although I don't own an iPad specifically, in my experience Apple tends to design their products to be useable out of the box. Even in the case of a software update being available, it doesn't take long to do so. Why not let the iPad do its required updating, walk away form the computer and spend Christmas morning with your lovely wife? ;)

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Open it, act surprised, and then plug it into iTunes to update it while you spend time with your family, :rolleyes:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This.

7. bentrider macrumors member

What is this "family" you speak of? Is it a phone or a tablet? Does it run on Android or iOS? How many cameras does it have? Can it run Facetime?

8. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Will lol hard when it's a Dell Streak/Galaxy tab

9. Syk macrumors 6502a

LOL yeah waiting for the "All I wanted for Christmas was an iPad and instead I got a freaking Galaxy Tab" hahahah

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And even harder if it's a Maylong.

[​IMG]

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Easy solution for that you return the Galaxy and then get an iPad, and enjoy! Of course if it is a Galaxy instead of an iPad then acting surprised will be easy won't it? :D

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Don't steal her thunder by letting her know, it would be terribly selfish of you

Your update time will be minimal, and with a wife and 3 year old on Christmas morning, you should have plenty of better things to occupy you while it updates

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It works absolutely fine on iOS3. Don't sweat it.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Qft

Do the update now if it's that big of a problem..but by Xmas 4.3 may be here.

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

True... just wait until the day comes, and take your time to follow the instructions and upgrade.
    Maybe your wife could upgrade it for you, but what if she messes it up and you end up with a brick?

The upgrade doesn't take too long. you could also download the upgrade file directly from Apple, just google for the link.