i know whats coming!

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Ok so the plastic iMac is now aluminum!

macbook(plastic)->mac mini(sorta aluminum)->imac(aluminum)->macbookpro(aluminum)->macpro(aluminum)

so the only product that isnt aluminum is the macbook!

so i think apple will release a new aluminum macbook 13'' which would basically become the new smaller macbook pro! anyone else think this? or realize this?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I personally don't think so, the different materials of construction show the definition between the product line quite clearly. There could be a lowered end 12" MBP but i doubt it.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
if they do that to the Macbook, then it wont be much different from the MBP. dont think apple is going that route, because its going to make the ultra-portable version of the MBP not stand out as much. but hey, you never know.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
doubt it being full aluminium, plastic is cheaper and as the macbook is budget model its used to keep the price down. I can however see an aluminium top plate similar to the new keyboard being added, I think that may look cool on the white one, maybe even a black glass one on the blackbook.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Not going to happen. The reason that the iMac is now aluminum is because Apple is moving it up market to be the main consumer model to integrate with ipod, iphone, etc.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Savannah, GA
Uh, nope. Aluminum is a Pro thing, Apple won't sell all aluminum computers, but a 12" MBP would be great (just gotta make it 1" thin before you release, right Apple).
Yet the iMac isn't a "Pro" line computer.

I see everyone's point. Just playing devils advocate here. Everything ie mini, iMac, iPhone, MBP, MP, Shuffle, and Nano are aluminum. Think we are left with the MB in plastic.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if they did go aluminum but it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

nre999

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
actually they are 25,9 mm which is (grabs calculator) 1,0196850393700787401574803149606"
Oh that explains a LOT. And I was going to go to the Apple Store and complain because my MBP was slightly larger that 1" (of course just by eyeballing it I guessed mine to be 1.0196850393700787401474803149607 inches tall (thus the basis to my now defunct complaint). I hate it when I am less than a nano off...

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
I think i'll just go against everyone and actually agree with this guy. it makes sense to me that they would do this move. MBP's to look like the iphone n iMac's and make the MB come in black and alluminum. they have been doing it with all their newest computers why not the MB.
and i would really love one like that, the white is too much like a toy in my humble opinion.
Then again its not a pro computer so who really knows.

Magick

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Delft, The Netherlands
Oh that explains a LOT. And I was going to go to the Apple Store and complain because my MBP was slightly larger that 1" (of course just by eyeballing it I guessed mine to be 1.0196850393700787401474803149607 inches tall (thus the basis to my now defunct complaint). I hate it when I am less than a nano off...
actually it was a whole 10^-7 yoctometer :p

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I see the macbook going aluminum, just not it doesn't fit the product line up because everything else is aluminum.
Aluminum is not a pro feature, pro's should worry about specs more than design, aluminum is a desirable feature and that makes it a consumer model feature, things that are desirable command a better price and perceived value. Look at the apple website with all the products on the main shop page, the macbook looks like someone messed up and it could of been a old picture of a old G3 iMac for what anyone cares, i actually had my mum say "did they forget to update that one?"

p.s. Oh grammar nazi's please advise if my grammar and spelling is okay, i am trying to learn

mowlavie

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
macbooks future

most likely the macbook will receive a redesign close to the xmas shopping season; this includes both inside and outside. The case would most likely be similar to the aluminum design that apple is now applying to all of its new computer lines. I believe inside though the major change that it would really be is the graphics card from the old gma 450 watever to the new intel integrated gma x3000, which would be alot better than the previous ugly thing, also a backlight LED would be nice as well!! but this is a prediction like others, though due to the release of Leopard, this would increase apples not book sales and it would put apples notebooks back in the competing line with the pcs! :):):) hope the best guyz!!

nre999

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Forget Alluminium, Titanium, and all of that craziness. Remember apple zigs when others zag - so when everyone else is still making plastic laptops - they go with tatanium and alluminum - well here is the next logical step:

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Ta/key.html

Tantalum:

I can see it now ... Apple Tantalum line of Pro Products

You Can Never be to Hard, to Gray or to Fast.

Maybe it would have saved this poor guy: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/09/roadkill-macbook-pro-keeps-on-keepin-on/

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Forget Alluminium, Titanium, and all of that craziness. Remember apple zigs when others zag - so when everyone else is still making plastic laptops - they go with tatanium and alluminum - well here is the next logical step:

Tantalum:

Maybe it would have saved this poor guy: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/09/roadkill-macbook-pro-keeps-on-keepin-on/
I highly doubt they would change materials now after releasing the iphone and the imac in alluminum. ill stick to my prediction of alluminnum MB's

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007

Tantalum:

Maybe mac pro and MBP will go Tantalum? and everything elses will go Al and Black? hmmmm doubt it but would be interesting... :p