I know what's wrong, but what to do (noise related)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CloudSE, Apr 19, 2011.

1. CloudSE macrumors newbie

After looking in to the issue and reading a couple of threads, I've come to the following regarding my MBP 13:

Problem: Constant spinning noise from Hard disk drive. Not much, but enough to be very annoying when I'm at the study hall or alone.

Analysis: Istat fan rpm; 2000, resetting SMC, nothing changed.

Conclusion: It's the Toshiba 500 gb drive that's making excess noise. I've compared to my friend's MBP, which has the Hitachi 250 gb, and it's considerably more quiet.

I feel cheated for wanting more space, paying more and then end up getting more noise.

But what to do?

A replacement MBP would probably have the same problem.

Could I go to Apple and make then downgrade the HDD? Or maybe install a different 500 gb HDD?

Could I buy a SSD, and make them install it for free?

As you see, I am willing to do a lot to get this noise away, because i really really dig this machine.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. iViking macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. Don't have magical thinking about Hitachi, however, as I have the 500GB Hitachi and it, too, is the loudest drive I've ever had with the fan running constantly and noisily, even with the computer at idle.

4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I've got the Apple-stock 250GB Toshiba and it's the noisiest/vibratiest Apple stock hard drive I have ever had.

I'm either going to get a different HD or an SSD. I'm delaying slightly while I see what happens with pricing/operation of SSDs.

Miss Terri

5. CloudSE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

But have Apple ever addressed this issue?

I think I'll maybe buy an SDD, but I'm really not comfortable installing it myself.