I know why Samsung sells more than Apple.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TSE, May 23, 2014.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

My buddy is in the market for a $600 or less laptop, so we go to the Mall of America.

Check out the Microsoft Store, they have some pretty good deals and selection, to be honest. Employees are nice and helpful.

Then we decide to check out Best Buy's selection in the mall. Oh boy.

Employee asks my buddy what he was looking for, I leave and go to some other stores while he is in Best Buy.

We meet up later, and I ask him if he saw anything he liked. He was disappointed because he told me that 4-5 employees over the course of 20-30 minutes came up to him and asked him what he was looking for, and despite saying just looking at laptops, the employees basically told him he didn't want a laptop, what he really wanted was a Samsung tablet. He told me that the final straw was when one of the employees gave him a 10 minute Samsung sales pitch despite saying he wasn't interested.

What's up with that? Do these employees get special kickbacks for selling Samsung?

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You found the secret to Samsung's success. Best Buy is the only reason Samsung sells 70+ million phones and millions of laptops every quarter. :rolleyes: Come on man. Be serious.

Simply put, Samsung success lies in the tons of cash they put into advertising around the globe and they have phones people like. Best Buy is a microscopic cog in that humongous machine.

3. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I just bought an HP quad core i5 from Best Buy a few hours ago and the sales man literally did nothing but remove the sales sticker for the shelf so he could go find it in the back. Only up-sells he tried was the in store warranty and some other type of $99 protection crap. Even when I perused the Samsung section none of the employees tried to push their goods on me. I'm calling BS on this.

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

It was a joke, dude. Samsung has some kickass products. Just wondering what was up with Best Buy at the Mall of America.

5. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Considering Samsung has a rather robust laptop line that, if BB was in Samsung's pocket, they'd be far more interested in foisting upon customers given that they cost significantly more, I am also calling BS on this.

In my experience, BB's have an Apple area, a Samsung area, and they push their stuff on you if you wander into said area but otherwise keep you where you are. It's really bad sales form to try and push someone away from what they're looking for.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I never get that from Best Buy. They usually approach....too often i might add and just tell them im looking around and then they say if i need anything let them know.
    When i do go there to buy something and ask questions they never steer me to Samsung. Samsung has their own area in there if you want to talk about their stuff.

7. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Yes Best Buy is the reason Samsung is huge. ...

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Probably find the sales guys had just been told to push the Samsung tablet that day due to a special deal or overstocking. To be honest I never take advice from these type of stores. Mostly they don't have a clue what they are talking about IMO.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The sales people at my local Best Buy aren't too bad. But I'm sure that isn't the case everywhere.