Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
birthday in 2 weeks and i know wife is planning to buy but hasn't bought me an apple watch. should i tell her to wait for the new version? will it be in the shops instantly or announced but not available yet? will there be such a huge difference?

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
based on leaks it seems like the next version (Series 3) will get LTE and no design change. so more of a minor spec bump if anything.

There are some good deals on current Series 1/2 with steep discounts ($70 off at Macy's for example) and they still work great.

jkehaniii

macrumors member
May 28, 2017
Defiantly let her get you a series 2 now, series 3 won't have much visible differences all enhancements will be under the hood and it will probably be in stores late September early October. Series 2 will last you a long time and will have heavy discounts this time in the cycle (I got my series 0 watch May of 2016 at target for about 150$ and its still running strong haven't noticed the struggled performance others suggest but probably because I only use trivia crack, messages and workout).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
birthday in 2 weeks and i know wife is planning to buy but hasn't bought me an apple watch. should i tell her to wait for the new version? will it be in the shops instantly or announced but not available yet? will there be such a huge difference?

Ask yourself if you would be content with the current generation Apple Watch or do you think it would be worth waiting for the latest upgrade. Ultimately, the only rumors that have surfaced so far for the Series 3 is LTE and perhaps some other physical changes.

Depending if there is a new Apple Watch launching in September, it likely will have limited availability as most Apple products do during launch, which you might be waiting somewhat longer depending on the model.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
If the extra cost isn’t a problem I’d ask to hold off.

It’s a gift from your wife I really doubt she’s going to to be offended if you want to ensure she doesn’t buy something old.
Yes, she should understand it's tech and not something else like the ring

Everyone knows tech gets updated very fast and often, so it's understandable someone would want to wait off; and since most gifts are purchased at retail, you might not be saving much money anyway by waiting

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I would tell her to wait, you and SHE would both be somewhat upset (I'm assuming here, but I did minor in pyschology) if shortly within say 1-1.5 months a new unit with most certainly MORE than just say LTE comes out at the same or even possibly lower pricing. If anything I would make sure you have a 30 day return, so purchase wisely from your retailer of choice.

But, if it's say for a big bday, like a round decade or 21 or something like that - well then sometimes the moment is worth more than the risk. That's more a personal decision than a practical one.

Regardless or LTE or form factor, I'm pretty sure we'll get some new processor tech (a bump at least if not something that is equal in power but much better in battery life - if they are working on LTE they are most certainly working on this big time). possibly some better screen tech and possibly some additional sensor update or feature inclusion.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Is it supposed to be a surprise? If so, just drop a hint in conversation over dinner or something. “You know I saw a headline online saying Apple is releasing a new watch soon...”

TIO

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
You could always just accept the gift now, explain to your wife that there's a newer version coming soon, and return it unopened.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would wait.

Even if Series 3 may turn out to be a minor upgrade (minus LTE, which is huge for those that wants it), the launch will lower the price point for Series 2 (which may get bumped down to Series 1 price level).

Aside from LTE, S3 processor is all but guaranteed (should be faster and possibly more energy efficient), and perhaps longer battery life, always on screen, and additional health sensors.

lukeyyyyy

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Here’s a solution where everyone wins.

Let her buy you the current version of the watch. Use it until the next generation ships. Sell the old watch without her knowing then buy the exact same (appearance wise) new version of the watch!

You’d probably lose out on $150 dollars or so but a small price to pay to see the look of glee in your wife’s face, plus you won’t have to wait!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
when would the new ones likely be in the shops?

It depends. If they announce a new Watch, they will be available for preorder first, followed by Apple Stores having limited quantity on launch day. When the Series 2 launched last year, only two Apple Stores on my area had the Series 2 available, where all my Apple stores had Series 1 available on launch day.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Be honest with her and just say what you are telling us. She’s your wife. She will want to see you happy, not pining for the series 3. What if she discovers after she buys it that there is now a series 3? Won’t she come and say, “if only I waited or asked you”. That might make her feel bad...personally I’d say now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.