I learned my lesson...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skyyo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. skyyo macrumors member

So I purchased an iphone 7 from ATT store on Friday. I was able to get iphone 7 plus from Apple store today so I went today to try to return the 7. On Friday I used my Next upgrade and turned in my iphone 6s. The ATT employee at store told me he would charge me $45 restocking fee + I have to pay the previous balance on my 6s if I return the 7. That was about $299. So we are looking at $344 or so just to return it.

I learned my lesson.. have a little more patience and don't settle for phone you don't really want.

I did not return it today and decided I could just sell it on eBay and then use that money to pay off the ATT next balance of $299.

My question is, Do you think I could get around $749 on ebay for the 7? (It is obviously $749 new) I show many being sold for $849 + brand new sealed. Mine is like-new condition. (haven't opened headphones, lighting cable etc.)

What do you think?

2. Alag28 macrumors 6502

as soon as the seal is broken u wont GET your 100% investment .... the iphone 7 is more readily avail than the 7+ by alot

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If it's open it's not New anymore.. don't list it as such.

You should be able to sell it for close to what you want. Just like you, there's many impatient people willing to pay top dollar for your used phone.

4. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Most people distinguish as 'brand new in box (BNIB' anyway, OP would probably be fine.

OP, stick it up for 790 or 800, it's still lower than the others from what you've said.

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

You'll have no problem selling it if it's Jet Black....

6. skyyo thread starter macrumors member

I understand that. I wasn't going to list as NEW but Used (like-new)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    I'm pretty sure I could get $700-$749 used in (like-new) status. Just wanted to get some opinions on it. ebay really doesnt have any used iphone 7's that have sold. A lot of new ones but that sounds typical after 2-3 days after launch.

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

When I was in line and the 7+ wasn't available I remember having 3 different guys say "I'll just get the 7 now and return it when the 7+ comes in." What a douche move. It's not the one you want so skip it and wait for what you want. What sense of entitlement do we have in people these days that they'll show Apple or whoever that they'll get what they want in some way. Someone behind them in line could actually have wanted that phone but they they don't care... unless they were the person at the back of the line who didn't get one because of people like themselves. They'd care then.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yep.. never understood the mentality of those who pureposly knew they were going to return an item before they bought it.. just goes against my morals..

9. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

While it's unfortunate, I sympathize with the early birds who don't want to leave empty handed. Who knows, maybe they'll wind up liking the size of the 7 and keep it. The people in the back of the line should already assume their chances on a phone are slim.

The returned devices are going to turn into a refurb anyway. In either case, patience is going to be key whether you're the guy in the front of the line, or in the back.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I totally get your point of view. It is selfish to buy with the intent of returning. It also keeps the cost of producing the phones high.

But on the other hand, if the phone was really THAT important to the people behind the swappers, they very well could have gotten in line sooner than they did.

It's all about effort when the new iPhone launches. Or maybe $4200 on eBay....

11. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I think the worst part of the whole "oh, I'll get what I can now and return when the one I want is in" crowd is the fact of how much of a pain it is to restore a phone sometimes and deal with all the passwords and what not. Add in a apple watch and it really makes changing phones a serious hassle.

12. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

If you used your next upgrade and traded in your 6s you should be clear of any charges after you return the 7 -- after paying the $45 restock fee. Plus you should be able to use your next upgrade again since you purchased the 7 plus from Apple in full -- you shouldn't have to pay anything $300 or whatever -- maybe I'm just not understanding.

13. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Absolutely spot on. The "me, me, me" culture we have in the so-called civilised world is disgusting.

14. skyyo thread starter macrumors member

That is what I thought but the ATT employee at store and online customer support says no. They said at time of Next upgrade when I turned in my iphone 6s I had $299 balance left on it. They are saying if I return the 7 I would be responsible for paying off the previous iphone 6s balance. Any one think they are just trying to rip me off? I could see if I did not turn in the old 6s I would have to pay $299 but I already gave them back the 6s.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

A number of mistakes you made.

I'd post the 7 on CL and eBay and hope it sells quickly. Be prepared for lower offers.

Let us know the selling price. And don't make this mistake again.

16. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Prefer CL, otherwise prepare for eBay PayPal robbery fees ~%13 of final value sold + cost of shipping.

17. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

Unless they are giving you back your 6s you don't need to pay nothing -- def trying to rip you off or just not understanding. Once you trade your iPhone in your balance for that phone is gone since you no longer have the 6s you don't owe anything on it they can't take the phone and still make you pay it off -- if you pay it off you get to keep the 6s

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go with Swappa. You'd avoid the 10% fee (it's only $10).

19. callihan_44 macrumors member

I would call At&t customer service before I pay a dime back to them

20. noobinator macrumors 601

21. sekazi macrumors 6502

With AT&T Next the way it was explained to me was you get a free upgrade after 12 months when you return your old phone. If you have paid all of the installments for the phone you get to keep it and start AT&T Next on a new phone. If you do not pay for the phone in full and want to break contact you are responsible for the remaining balance.

Since you traded for a 7 then you are stuck with that phone unless they are able to get your 6S and you will just have to pay the remaining installments and then keep the phone.

So if they accept a return of the 7 for $45 then in order to have to pay the balance you must be given your old phone or you pay the balance of the 7.

22. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong with testing a product. If apple utilise this policy and allow it- I don't see how you can be upset about it.

And unless you're paying cash each time - -apple would block your account from future purchases if this was done often

23. Joshuakal macrumors newbie

What's the going rate for a 6s / 6s+ on ebay or craigslist?