I like how the system files are hidden to the average user

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jamie0003, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

It's a small thing, but I like that in Lion's default finder settings, you can't access any of the system folders. I think this is very good as it means the average user won't be messing around with the operating system.

What I mean is, you can't access anything beyond your user folder and applications without changing some settings first. (Macintosh HD is hidden by default).

The whole layout of finder is much better done this time around in my opinion as well, seems much less cluttered and easier to get around. and Airdrop is VERY useful.

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Good point. I kinda noticed but never gave it much attention. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's a good idea.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Your Macintosh HD is hidden by default? I was only aware of /user/Library being hidden now.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Yeah, hold on . . . you can hide/show it via the Finder preferences anyway. You were always able to do this.

I did notice that the Library folder is gone from the user folder. That part's for sure.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I think he just means not on your desktop. That's been the default for a while now, dunno if it was 10.6.0 or earlier.

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Ah, ok. I usually enable all drives to show on the desktop in Finder prefs upon a clean install. No wonder.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Your user Library folder was the only folder now hidden by default. I was not aware of Macintosh HD being hidden as mine has been visible in all DP releases up to the current GM.

8. superericla macrumors 6502

I frequently go into my ~/Library folder for various reasons but I just use Finder's "Go to Folder..." command anyways.

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Got it.

10. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I mean in the finder, you can't access the system files at all unless you change a few settings which is good as it stops grandma deleting system folders :p

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Now I'm curious, what is locked down on your system? You never could delete or move items from the system folders without being prompted for a username/password. In Lion they took an additional step of hiding the user's Library folder, but I can still view any system files from the finder.

12. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing, i'm just saying that it's now hidden by default so it's less likely to happen.

13. phobox macrumors member

To be honest I think they need to be a little careful with what exactly they dumb down and how much they do it. By dumbing down I do of course mean such things as hiding the Library folder and Macintosh HD by default, among other minor things in Lion. I think Snow Leopard had a nice middle ground, it still had the simplicity without making things difficult for those of us who actually like to use our computers :p

One of Microsoft's biggest mistakes with Windows was the dumbing down of the UI, Windows XP for example had that new default view for explorer which dumbed down almost everything, which actually had the effect of making things very difficult indeed for almost anyone who wanted to use the computer.. even finding things in Control Panel became a cumbersome mess. I just hope Apple doesnt make the same mistake with their UI.

14. stewacide macrumors regular

Why hide the user's library folder but not the system library?

15. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Oh so nothing else is hidden besides /user/Library on your system? My impression by your first post was all system files were now hidden and that is not what I was seeing.

16. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does hide the system library

17. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Because the system library is already protected. You can't delete or move without your username/password. The user Library was not hidden and the casual user can cause just as much harm deleting those files. Make it just a little difficult to view, i.e. holding the option key as you choose Go in the finder protects most.

18. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

/Library is not hidden only /user/Library is hidden.

19. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? Maybe it's just me but I can't access any library files in the finder unless I specifically enable them.

20. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm positive, /Library or /System/Library are all accessible. I have not made any changes to unhide them in the terminal. The only hidden system folder is ~/Library.

21. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Is the library accessible even though it's hidden? I like to manually move of some preferences of some apps I run so I don't have to start from scratch. Only apps that I know I can do this with though.

Hugh

22. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

This won't affect many users because if you don't know enough to know about the Library directories in the first place, you are afraid to "break something" on the computer anyway, so hiding a directory that the user is afraid to touch is pointless. Also, if a user knows enough to access these files in Finder, they would probably choose Terminal anyway.

23. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I get it, what I mean is with the default icons on the sidebar, you can't access it because Macintosh HD isn't there. Turning that on, you can still access it.

24. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, it is. In the finder hold the option key down, choose Go and it appears or go to folder and type in ~/Library either way works. Or you can unhide it perminantly from terminal.

25. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I see now what you are saying. We were using different terminology. When you say system files are hidden, most would take that to mean the chflags hidden flag was set for the file. You meant that it was just not visible :D