I like it so far

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Received a 2018 MBP 13" TB with 512/16/i7 a few days ago and been putting it through its paces.

My biggest fear was the keyboard but surprisingly I like it.

I haven't explored the TB yet but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me now.

I usually never buy AppleCare but given the fragility of these devices I might have to consider it now.
What say the forum?

Also, any sense in putting a case on this....seen some ok looking ones on amazon around 15 bucks.

Reactions: HenryDJP

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Put a dbrand wrap on it and get a silicone keyboard protector.
I was hoping someone would post about protection...usually I go commando with laptops, but since the keyboard on this seems so vulnerable I am reconsidering.

Shortlisted the following on amazon:

Case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ZME2N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Keyboard Protector

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRKLH27/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A895CA67P9P1A&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSDQP3T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Regarding wraps: Between dbrand and slick wraps, which one is better?

Between case or wrap, leaning to the latter as the case adds 240 gm to the weight. Im not looking to make it bump proof just protect against scrapes in my bag or on work surfaces.

Last edited:

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
How are you finding the battery life on this machine?
I only just calibrated it yesterday so need to test the life some more. I run off power most of the time but I will give it a go without power cord and report back.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
get a silicone keyboard protector.
I've only heard bad news about keyboard protectors and the jury is still out on whether its beneficial. It may actually do the inverse, if a piece of debris gets under the skin, it gets trapped. Then its using the the keyboard with the protector. The keyboard is bad enough without making it feel worse. Also don't forget that the it may trap heat.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I've only heard bad news about keyboard protectors and the jury is still out on whether its beneficial. It may actually do the inverse, if a piece of debris gets under the skin, it gets trapped. Then its using the the keyboard with the protector. The keyboard is bad enough without making it feel worse. Also don't forget that the it may trap heat.
seems to me that sooner or later there will be dust getting into the keyboard through those gaps....
i have got some canes of compressed air that I will probably spray the keyboard every 2 weeks or so.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
seems to me that sooner or later there will be dust getting into the keyboard through those gaps
No question, so hopefully the silicon covering that was added to the 3rd gen will work as designed. When I use the laptop at home, on my desk, it sits on a stand, and I use an external keyboard. I'm hoping that usage will buy me time as well.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
My wife and I are loving our 2017 MBP 13' TB. We've put these laptops through their paces and have had a lot of time to use our keyboards heavily. My wife is doing a PhD on hers and spends hours every day on her laptop, at least.

We've owned the laptops for half a year now. My wife is much harder on her MBP than I am on mine and so far these things are showing no signs of wear.

I even went so far as to get this for my work computer so I could get used to keyboards with low travel: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows-Portable/dp/B07886CMRV/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542066924&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+keyboard&dpID=41mzhfAyYTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch -- this thing types similar to a MBP. I like it.

My wife and I hope to get at least 5 years (hopefully 6+) of usage out of these things. I guess Apple has the keyboard warrantied for four years so we should have coverage until 2022.

We got AppleCare+ even though it was pricey. For something we both use all day every day... yeah...

I still cannot believe the negativity I see here on Macrumors about these machines and all the problems people are having with them. Not that I deny it, but I don't see it in our own usage.

I use mine with a Sonnet eGPU to play World of Warcraft and Starcraft II and have been for a few months now.

The battery has 33 charge cycles on it and continues to grow in capacity (currently at 4425mAh of design 4315 mAh). At the rate of say 80 cycles a year, should be good for 6+ years.
[doublepost=1542067553][/doublepost]
No question, so hopefully the silicon covering that was added to the 3rd gen will work as designed. When I use the laptop at home, on my desk, it sits on a stand, and I use an external keyboard. I'm hoping that usage will buy me time as well.
Same. I try to use an external keyboard as much as possible - I have done this with all my laptops even Chromebooks back in the day. I enjoy pounding away on a $20 Anker bluetooth keyboard knowing it extends the life of my laptop. :)