I like my new iMac but!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seniorgeek, Aug 15, 2011.

1. seniorgeek macrumors member

My iMac has crashed more times in the 3 weeks that I have owned it then my 3 year old self built Vista machine ever did.

The last one today was with Chrome on Amazon, it just locks up, the cursor moves but I have to use the power button to get it working again.

I am sure that it is Lion that is causing the issues, I have the video crashing issue also.

Hope a update cames soon or I will be installing W7 on my new iMac.

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Have you called Apple yet or taken your iMac to the Apple store? Unlike Microsoft, you have an excellent support system behind your iMac.

3. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I think the point he was making is that you don't need a support system with Microsoft - it just works! :rolleyes:

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

For Lion, I keep reading that Safari / Chrome doesn't work very well. Sometime about increased CPU usage (which creates more internal heat) and something about the odd system hang - probably from internal heat overload.

As a trial, stop using Safari / Chrome. Simply download and use Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/ instead. Try this application for a few weeks. If your iMac system hangs stop happening, you've narrowed it down to Safari. Hopefully, Apple will have a few "improvement" Safari / Chrome / Flash improvement updates for Lion soon. Only time will tell...

Hope this helps...

5. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

First of all welcome to the mac family, i recommend u do a hardware test just incase, insert the CD that came with ur Mac and press D on boot just to be sure :D

6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

7. seniorgeek thread starter macrumors member

My iMac came with Lion installed, so no CD came with it at all.

8. Svenny macrumors newbie

Lion video driver bug

Unfortunately, it seems obvious that you are affected by a *major* Lion bug that concerns mainly new iMac owners.
    There is a very long discussion about this on the Apple support forum, look at:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/15676049

Ignore all of the users who propose upgrading Flash, or Safari or whatever. It seems clear that the graphics-subsystem of Lion, in combination with the new hardware is the reason - every soft that uses video accelaration crashes the iMac in the way you describe.
    The only workaround that works for everyone is: Don't put your iMac to sleep. It happens only afterwards.

Everyone is waiting on a fix - not forcing us to install W7...

Good luck, S.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No problem with Chrome on my 2011 MBA, or any browser. Opera seems to lock up and reset itself on my 2011 iMac. Kind of annoying.

10. err404 macrumors 68020

Honestly, the days of OS crashes ended a long time ago for both MS and Apple. A modern machine that is running properly should not crash, ever.
    For as long as I can remember, the only crashes that I have seen on my 4 Mac's, have been Hardware related, not Software (My Man Mini had over heating issues, SMCFanControl fixed it).

Get it looked at. It's not normal.

edit - I have had app issues and other problems that required a reset, but the OS never outright crashes.

11. seniorgeek thread starter macrumors member

Actually putting the iMac to sleep has nothing to do with some of the issues I am experiencing, yesterday after being online for over an hour I went to Amazon to check on a price and it locked up, cursor moved but I had to do a shutdown and restart to continue. This has happened several times.