I like the new orientation system on the iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tom G., Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

A lot of people have complained about the screen orientation lock being moved from an external switch to a button on the screen. After using it a bit I have concluded that I like it.

I use my iPad a lot in my living room and bedroom, in both of which I have the lights turned down. I found that because of the case that I have the iPad in I was always physically looking for the switch to see which way I had to go with it to lock or unlock the screen. With the lock on the screen I can easily see it and do what I want with it. And to get to it is only a couple of taps and a swipe.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

3. kyk0 macrumors newbie

mm don't you still have to look for the main iPad button though? if you know where that is then you also know where the switch button is..

4. crh3ff macrumors member

except that's usually not covered by a case, and is quite simple to find and press just by rubbing your thumb over the surface. I agree that the mute switch as a software button is much easier to use than digging into the notch on the Apple case

tap-tap-swipe and there they are

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just keep the home button to the right. That way the switch and volume controls are always on top left. When holding the iPad in portrait, I always keep the power button on top, so the switch is also near the top. I never get confused about where the switch is.

6. oli356 macrumors 6502

7. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

You have over simplified the operation. It requires:

1) A double click of the home button
    2) a swipe of the multitasking menu
    3) a tap of the rotation lock button
    4) a click of the home button or a tap of the screen

Sure it only takes 3 or 4 seconds (depending on wether you have it in portrait or landscape mode whilst holding it with one hand), but it is even more annoying trying to explain it to people unfamiliar with the iPad - it was much nicer to just lean over and flick the switch, but now you have to take it out of their hands and fiddle with it. I have even had a couple of people comment that obviously Apple is no longer about ease of use because they watched me lock the screen.

8. macwheels macrumors regular

Thanks Ciclismo..
    (I *thought* what you have taken the time to detail & explain was, um, obvious... isn't it? :eek: )

-Also:
    when displaying a long sequence of photos in the iPad Photos app, it is very common for some of the images to not be oriented correctly, which makes it necessary to lock AND unlock/re-lock the screen orientation multiple times, depending on the images. For example -- while I am trying to show a lot of medical images, I don't want to visually interrupt what we are looking at with an annoying pop-up, just to RE-lock the screen orientation... again, and again. Having to do that multiple times in a period of a few minutes is annoying for a surgeon -- who is just trying to make a diagnosis, RIGHT NOW. In my experience these guys have absolutely zero patience for fiddling with equipment -- understandably, I feel.. :(

Macwheels

9. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'd forgotten that usage, for correcting wrongly oriented photos. (I haven't had to do that since the changeover.) Bummer.

All these threads need to lead here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

10. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Tip: jailbreak the iPad(s). Just install NoMute. It makes the button work just as you would expect.

If you restart the iPad often, wait for a new, untethered jailbreak.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

First of all: I don't have an iPad (yet), but I find it really lame that apple makes such changes of functionality to owners that were used to such thing.

What I don't understand is why there are 3 buttons that do the same thing next to each other, Volume up, down and mute... I'm looking forward for the separate lock / unlock buttons and a home button for the multitasking and one for the home
    I also don't understand why do you need to mute an iPad, the mute switch on the 3GS is incredibly handy, but the iPad is not a pocket device so you may just unlock and volume down instead of taking away the functionality it had before

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1 I'm with you. The change is fine and I was never all that good at finding that switch. I prefer the on-screen version.

Cheers,

13. pmudditt macrumors newbie

Its because it is actually brand NEW functionality and NOT the same as volume up and down, it only mutes certain TYPES of sounds.

However, I agree, it was nice and easy to explain to people when showing photographs around (I have 10000+ on mine) that the little switch could be flicked when they came across a photo that needed "re-orientated".

So my work around is to have it locked to LANDSCAPE all of the time and I fixed my photo's so that they did not need to be re-orientated.

14. ABG macrumors 6502

Its spoiled the iPad for me - I needed folders as I had around 9 pages of apps, now only on two thanks to folders. But getting to the new screen lock is such a PITA that I now leave it locked on.

Try handing your iPad to someone at work to show them a web page in a meeting, As you hand over the iPad the screen orientation swaps around a few times. That was when I'd use the physical button and it was very easy to do.

I'm glad some people find it an improvement.
    Its not an improvement for me though. :(

15. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

As someone who has incurred some spousal wrath for loud alerts in the middle of the night from my iPad on the nightstand I appreciate the new Mute switch (which I believe only mutes alerts and notifications).

16. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I understand that there are uses where only muting alerts and notification is nice, like watching videos or YouTube. This seems to be the only situation that I can think of right now for that. I think apple is aiming for uniformity of their devices. For me though it makes no sense to have a mute button. To mute the device is just as easy (and this is the step I still use) to hold the volume down button for a brief second. When you need volume again it's just as easy to get full or a few presses for the desired level. I don't mind having the lock in the multitasking bar but they could have left the physical button alone. As others have stated, when trying to show someone a document,picture it was always nice to be able to lock the device in a split second, not 2, and although some will say its only two seconds when it is in a business situation you look as if your trying to hard to "be cool" with your fancy new toy instead of focusing on work. For me most of the time I'm in good reader, what I really like about this app and something I think apple could do for us is to integrate the in app lock rotation for photos. A simple on screen button in the tool bar (there is plenty of room) would solve most peoples complaints with this change I think and would be, IMO, easier than the original switch for photos.

17. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

Earth to Steve: Make it a user option.
    There is no good reason not to.
    Why don't you want everyone to be happy?

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like that choice option. If it was fairly easy that would've been a good compromise.

Cheers,

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is very much an Apple/Steve Jobs type of thing isn't it.

Many companies seem to feel the best idea is to give the consumer some options on a product.

Apple/Steve seem to think they know best and decide how it should be and that's that.

It's their product and they can do that, but it's a strange way.

It's like on some items in the past, they had a spare "User Programmable" hardware button on the device, which you, as the user, could select from a long list the function you would most lightly find useful to you to set this button to.

Now, again, Apple are free to do whatever they want.

The one thing I find the most incredible thing is that there are some people who support not having a choice.

I can understand people being happy with Apples choice and wanting no more, but it's almost beyond logic that people actually want choice removed from them.

For example, I want to be able to choose to have a different default web browser. I like Perfect Browser the best as it offers a few things Safari does not. But if I click on a link in an email Safari Launches.

On a PC or a Mac you can set the default browser, but so far Apple don't allow it. It would be such a tiny change to make in settings, but it's not been done.

For one of two reasons. They don't think anyone wants it, of they want to deliberatly make life difficult for those who choose a different browser.

I don't actually have an issue with the new orientation setting, it's fine. But I still think given the iPad has in effect one switch on the outside, giving people a choice would not hurt.

It's amazing really that, given the millions sold, they actually changed it without giving people the option.

20. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Surgeon here, no problem with the new screen orientation lock system.

21. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You have to ask yourself something.

Steve and his team must have sat around the table and discussed changing this a number of times.

They have sold many millions of units, and were going to totally change the functionality of a switch that millions of people around the world have already got used to using for the past 6 months.

The discussion must have come up about "Shall we include a option it settings to allow the customer to choose it's function"

Any NORMAL company, given they are changing something already in place, and already in use by millions would have allowed to option to change back if you wanted.

But Apple made the deliberate choice not to let the customer choose.

They knew it would upset some people and know it would confuse some people.

I don't see why they would change it now due to some requests.

23. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Ahh dude! Please don't go putting people off writing a complaint to apple!

I know all you said is totally true but they do occasionally make changes based on user feedback (if enough people complain).

I use my ipad onsite for PDF, Photo, Document, CAD Viewing and in that environment the Physical switch was invaluable to me.
    I know it is silly but using the lock as often as I do I honestly build up a seething anger throughout the day having to use the software version of the lock. It just isn't as quick and simple at all.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

24. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

Especially when handing it to someone to let them try it.
    The awkwardness of it is a negative selling point.
    You simply have to be able to engage it quickly when quickly changing apps.
    The lack of user choice is inexplicable and infuriating as much as the change itself.
    (second feedback sent to Apple)