I like to know which top OS I can use for my eMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AmnonMikeCohen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AmnonMikeCohen macrumors newbie

1.:apple: My eMac is aging as new updates and upgrades keep coming, so my OS 10.3.9 is not new anymore - and so I am searching for granting it new life with as modern as possible Operating System, one which will work on my 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 512 MB DDR SDRAM machine with DVD (Super Drive CD/DVD)

2.:apple: I am also wondering if a system made for my wife's macBOOK 10.5.2 will install - and if it will be as new install or work like a system upgrade, so I do not loose my documents and many applications and all the stored and memorized links in these applications.
    Please note I love it because it runs my OS-9 applications which are still good for website publishing and photo-editing and so on as I have all systems and 27 Macs - including a yet new 128k Mac...lol

3.:apple: Will I need to back-up all my machine on external drive to be safe.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Everymac.com

1. Leopard would work, but you should upgrade the RAM. 10.4 tiger would work better.

2. No you need to buy retail.

3. You should always backup any important data no matter what you are doing.

BTW, no bumping threads. Read the forum FAQ/ rules.

3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I am running Leopard on a MDD PM ( G4 1.2 Ghz ). I have upgraded it to 2gb or RAM ( really 1gb is essential ). That said it's still a slow system, things like YouTube play with a stutter ( HQ is a slideshow ). But everything does work as long as you are patient.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, you will not be able to use that disk, nor would you want to. If you are hoping to run OS 9 applications still, you will not be able to use Leopard, and it ended support for Classic. Find a copy of 10.4 and install that on there instead. BTW, the disks that come with a Mac, in addition to really only working on that same model computer, are only licensed for that particular computer, so you wouldn't be allowed to install them on another computer even if you got them to work.

jW