I Link Help or am I really stupid??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by POLLYmenaker, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. POLLYmenaker macrumors newbie

    Dec 13, 2008
    Where is the port for the I LINK on my MAC? I have a sony camcorder and I'm ready to transfer my movies. I have the I link but can't seem to find where exactly on my mac to hook it up. Am I stupid?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    What kind of Mac do you have?

    On the Mac it's called Firewire; same thing. The port will be marked with this:
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus


    Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    Sony iLink is actually a fancy name for firewire. You need a cable that can fit your camera one end (4 pin) and goes to a firewire port (6 pin) at the other.

    If you have a newer mac firewire 800 might be available as well. Which mac do you have?
  4. RedTomato macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    I have a feeling you may have the new alu macbook. If so (and I really hope I'm wrong) you may wish to correspond with a Mr Jobs and let him know what happened.

    best wishes
  5. -DH macrumors 65816

    Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    Firewire is a registered trade name (Apple) used for the IEEE 1394 protocol standard. It is also used to describe the ports, connectors and cables used for this particular protocol. Since some companies don't want to pay a fee just to use the name, they've come up with their own.

    Sony registered the name "iLink" while other camcorder manufacturers simply use "DV" (or DV I/O). Texas Instruments uses the name "Lynx."

    No matter what name is used, they're all the same. Well, except for Canon. While the Firewire ports on a Canon camcorder are the same, they don't adhere very strictly to the IEEE 1394 protocol.

  6. suzmdx01 macrumors newbie

    Jul 25, 2009
    HOW - i.Link cable hook up to Mac?

    Did you ever figure out how to do this? I have a Mac desktop and have the same issue. My iLink cable is 4 pin to 4pin (I think). I think I need a UBS adapter or some other adapter. I hope you figured it out! Thanks!
  7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus


    Mar 7, 2007
    What Mac do you have?

Share This Page