I locked myself out!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrianVarick, Apr 24, 2007.

1. BrianVarick macrumors member

Nov 9, 2006
    I put a lock on my movies folder becuase I have some R movies that I don't want my little cousins to watch. And now i can't write to it, and I have no idea how to turn it off. Any help?

Also, while I have you here, is there a way to see where all my HD space is going? I'm missing alot of it, and I'm not sure where it's all gone.
  2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Isn't it just, right click on the Movies folder in your Home drive, select 'Get Info', and uncheck 'Locked'?
  3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    Did you try right-clicking on the folder and selecting Get Info (apple-I on the folder)? At the bottom there is an ownership and permissions tab that you should be able to change the permissions to.
    About the HD space- have you been editing any dv movies? Those tend to take up a rediculous amount of space. Try going through your folders, and get info on those- it will tell you how big they are, and possibly what's eating up your space.
  4. BrianVarick thread starter macrumors member

Nov 9, 2006
  5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    Have you considered making a separate account for them? Then when you are logged in to your account you will not need to bother with locking/unlocking folders.
  6. NuDarwin macrumors member

Mar 26, 2007
    you might try researching quicktime "media keys" if the files are in quicktime format. if that doesn't work out, I would try a new account, and give your cousins' account "no access" privileges to the folder.