I lol'd at the scams to sell virus software.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kristenn, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Kristenn macrumors 6502

So I was going to check out this clan website for CSS. It is apparently infected with viruses and since they all had a Windows machine they didn't want to go see if it was still up so I said I would do it for them.

It is infected with viruses and when you ignore the phishing warning the Anti Virus and Anti Malware companies spam you, telling you you have a certain amount of viruses while not even aware of what hardware OR Operating System you are using.

See if you laughed as hard as I did. You'll notice a lot of things wrong with it but it is easy to see how it "might" fool some people using Windows XP.

Attached Files:

2. stranger danger macrumors member

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Yup, those seem to be quite prevalent these days.

On another note, I read about a virus from a while back that claimed that it can upgrade one's CD-ROM drive to a CD-RW. Guess what? Lots of people got owned by it!

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sad it is even using the XP veiw of it. Pretty outdated since most people have moved on to either Vista or Windows 7 by now.

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I saw a site like this a few weeks after I got my MacBook in December.

I lol'd as well.

6. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Dude, you got viruses. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

7. babybanana macrumors member

My dad was unfortuantely nearly fooled by that this morning. It's okay, his solution wake me up at 7am to tell me about this virus :( Lovely deam too I was having by the way.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The guy at work actually fell for something similar to this. Apparently, a dialogue popped up on a website the (Windows, of course) machine and told him it was infected. So, like the idiot that thinks he knows all about computers that he is, he goes and downloads it and installs this "antivirus" program that keeps "finding" viruses on the computer and popping up a brazillion ad windows.

I wouldn't mind except it was the computer I have to use as well, and it made my job much harder to do. Actually, I eventually brought in my laptop and used it for all my typing. 'course, I didn't get compensated for it, but I saved myself some stress...

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

[​IMG]

Oh... no!

10. Kristenn thread starter macrumors 6502

I love the replies in this thread xD

Lucky for me I never fell for these on Windows XP at my friends house. I told her how can both of these computers have the exact same amount of viruses? AND WHY IS IT IN AN INTERNET WINDOW?!

Poor n00b she was xD

11. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

The people in the cable commercials seem very excited about doubling their speed.

12. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

The popup has a spelling mistake (sedn instead of send), that alone should tell someone it's not trustworthy.

13. lewis82, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

XP "Finder" windows (or whatever it's called) look very similar to some versions of IE...

EDIT: it's IE 6. And it's pretty obvious that people who still use IE 6 will totally panic at the sight of this.

XP: [​IMG]

IE 6:[​IMG]

14. Kristenn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm aware they look identical. It's just thats the first question that would pop into the minds of smart people like us. If you know what I mean :p

15. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su