Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
When I take my iPhone 4 out of my pocket it's either at 1 bar or says no service. Then when I take it out the service quickly goes up. Does this happen to anyone else? It's kinda frustrating because sometimes I miss texts just because my phone is in my pocket.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
When I take my iPhone 4 out of my pocket it's either at 1 bar or says no service. Then when I take it out the service quickly goes up. Does this happen to anyone else? It's kinda frustrating because sometimes I miss texts just because my phone is in my pocket.

You're holding it wrong.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Why don't all you other posters help instead of leaving idiotic comments.

@OP: Try using a belt clip holder. That way it stays out side. And with the holder parts of the antenna are exposed should give it better signal. You can pick them up at the AT&T store from 20-30$.

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
It's probably your jeans or pants man. Maybe they're too thick? Who knows, why not try it with other pair of jeans/pants and see if you can replicate the problem.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Back pocket while sitting down? Or side pockets? I've seen bar drop on all the phones I've owned while in the back pocket and sitting. Makes total sense.

agjake01

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
It's an Apple censorship feature, prevents unauthorized extraneous usage anytime there's a party in your pants.

sanders4617

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Same for me. I use to listen to Pandora at work (with my iPhone 3G in my pocket).. but now I have to keep it out of my pocket.. and gets in the way a lot. Oh well

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Why don't all you other posters help instead of leaving idiotic comments.

@OP: Try using a belt clip holder. That way it stays out side. And with the holder parts of the antenna are exposed should give it better signal. You can pick them up at the AT&T store from 20-30$.

Your comment is just as idiotic as mine.

I take that back. Yours is much more idiotic.

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
I've wondered about this. Has anyone tried Cell Guardian App? It lets you know if you have dropped service and logs it. FYI

EDF

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I've learned to handle this by keeping one pocket empty for the phone and positioning it up right.

bjgpp

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Southlake, TX
The bars are near zero for me when in my pants, but it only loses service from time to time. It seems to happen more if I am wearing athletic pants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.