I lost my "PIN-only" ATM card...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Jan 5, 2017.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I've lost a card that I'm pretty sure was one of those old dark-blue Chase PIN-only ATM cards (as opposed to an actual Visa/MC debit card; you know, the kind you can only use at an ATM machine, and only by entering the 4-digit PIN,). I never used the thing (always used my debit card instead); it must have simply slipped out of my wallet at some point.

I called Chase and they assured me that the only card I currently have attached to my bank account is my debit card. But I can't help but wonder whether somebody might be able to find some evil use for the thing if they pick it up.... Sure, they don't have the 4-digit PIN, but maybe there's some way of extracting that data.... Should I actually open a new bank account and shift my funds over to it, or would that count as paranoia since the bank is telling me I'm OK?

I don't even know whether PIN-only cards expire. Does a debit card automatically replace/supplant an older ATM-only card on the same account?

2. Orizence macrumors 6502

If I told my bank that I lost mine, they would disable my debit card and send me a new one or tell me to pick a new one up at the bank. A lot of cards get disabled after a few wrong pins attempts in a row, so I wouldn't worry about it too much

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Notify the bank, and they will cancel the card and send you a new one.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's why you need to call the bank and have them cancel the card, which will invalidate it and make it useless.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

the ATM down the road ate my card once,, i just didn't bother going back and picking it up... Instead, it was far more easier to just order a new one, so i'm not sure what would happen eventually to the one still down inside the bank

For security reasons, if the bank had any sense if customer doesn't claim it within 7 days it should get blocked. Besides, no one knows the PIN so the even if someone could get past the ID check and pick up the card it would be useless to them anyway.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would go to your local branch and talk to them about it, they will be able to clarify whether the ATM card would have been shut off when they gave you the debit. When I opened my account in 2008, I was never issued an ATM card and have always done deposits with the debit cards. I don't even think my parents even got Chase ATM cards, whereas I saw them with Wells Fargo and Bank of Texas ones in the past.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually once the ATM captures a card it is destroyed within a certain amount of days if the cardholder with valid picture ID doesn't show up to retrieve it.

8. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Talked to a branch banker today and he confirmed that the ATM-only card would have been automatically rendered null and void back when I got my new chip debit card anyway. So all is well. Whew.