I lost the password for a desktop application and it's not in Keychain!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bpetruzzo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I have an application on my desktop that is attached to a webserver updating account that I need to modify the settings for. Problem is, I've forgotten the password and their 'forgot password' thing isn't responding after a few hours. If I could just reveal the password that's saved on the desktop application then I wouldn't have to mess with it.

I looked all though Keychain, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere in there.

Back in PC days there were tons of applications that could just reveal what was behind the little dots. After about 20 minutes of searching, it seems that the mac world offers no such convenience.

Anyone know some other way around this? I mean, it must be stored somewhere on here. The application is remembering the password!

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

It's my family's DNS updater from OpenDNS. I use it to keep track of and control what kinds of sites the family goes to. I keep the updater on my own machine so that the other computers don't have the ability to do what I'm trying to do right now. Go figure!

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Ouch, that sounds strict... Perhaps your family will at least get some privacy now.

Anyway, OpenDNS is a well known service, I bet they would be upset if their password system didn't respond. If it's a problem on their side, you should contact them and help them fix it.