I love apple customer relations, hate their return policy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbg232, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I just wanted to share this story for people who bash apple customer relations that I had an amazing experience with them:

I bought an iMac 2 weeks ago. At the time they told us we could upgrade the keyboard and mouse to wireless for $50 (they do this at all apple stores, just ask for it). We declined at the time, took the computer home for 2 days, set it up, installed applications, photos, music, etc, and it became a part of our life. However, on the 3rd day we really wished we had bought the wireless keyboard and mouse for $50. We called the apple store where we bought the machine and the manager told us that they come prepackaged and that we would have to return the machine, pay the $169 restocking fee, get a new computer, reinstall everything (leopard, apps, photos, music, etc) AND pay for th $50 upgrade. When I explained that this was slightly ridiculous considering a new wireless keyboard and mouse is $150 retail she said that's the way it has to be done but I could try calling applecare to figure something out....

After first talking to sales, then technical support, then sales again, then transferred to customer relations (2 hours at this point) I was upset but explained the story in detail to the customer relations employee. He responded that he doesn't understand why an upgrade that was offered at the outset wouldn't be honored 3 days after purchase and that he would gladly send me a wireless keyboard and mouse for FREE! It arrived the NEXT DAY overnight shipping! I was happy as a clam and it just goes to show you that apple can sometimes seem very corporate but I believe is at its heart still a very decent company that cares about keeping its customers happy. End of story, thank you apple!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very nice of Apple to send you the freebie. I don't think you deserved it. You used the KB and mouse for 3 days and felt Apple should allow you the upgrade you originally passed on. Sorry, I don't.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I agree with rdowns I'm afraid, whilst I agree the whole new machine re-stocking thing is ridiculous just for a keyboard and mouse, you should have had to pay for new ones. Now you have both wired and wireless, for free. Nice going though. :D

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I completely agree.

This offer was made to you at the time, and IMO you were silly to pass it up.

5. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

I agree that we were silly to pass it up after seeing how useful it is - now I can hardly see life without it. However, we WERE willing to trade in the old keyboard and mouse for a new one and pay the $50 and were not expecting (and quite frankly have no use for) a new corded mouse and KB set at this time. The entire idea of a return policy is that if something is in brand new condition (which ours definitely was) a decent company would acknowledge that the customer makes a mistake from time to time and that is part of the agreement between the customer doing business from that company. The customer implicitly agrees to not "scam" the company (which I don't think we were trying to do because we would have returned the mouse and keyboard in mint condition) and the company doesn't try to "scam" the customer (by charging ridiculous restocking fees and requiring you to buy a WHOLE NEW COMPUTER). If this exchange weren't implicitly existent in at least some sort of form there would be no reason for a company to have an exchange policy at all for unwanted or mistaken products. But almost all companies do have an unwanted category in their return policy, and that is an acceptance of the human factor of the consumer who buys the item.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You would have returned the wired KB and mouse used. What should the store do with them? They can't sell them as new.

How about this, would you have been happy receiving wireless devices that someone else returned?

7. tjohanne macrumors member

Good

I think it is good you got the new stuff for free. You were lucky, alright, but considering that Apple products are very expensive and that the company makes a good profit by overpricing their goods, I think it is only fair that some customers can get lucky too, from time to time, like you were now.

8. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

I would be fine with it if were used for 3 days by someone else, that's part of the nature of the retail arena. Or apple could have done what other electronics companies do and sell it at 5% off. They're not losing any money off of it with the prices that they charge ($150 for a keyboard and mouse is a tad overpriced in my personal opinion, although I would have bought it if it came down to it). It's a keyboard and mouse, not a computer - you can't really do anything to them to make them unusable in 3 days and it's not like a computer which to me would have that "tainted" feeling if when I turned it on for the first time it didn't send me to that fancy set-up screen...

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You're missing the point.

1. Your keyboard and mouse were not even retail items. The were bundled items that shipped with your machine.

2. Regardless of the condition, the items are not new. In this country, it is illegal for any company to sell a used product, in any condition, as a new product.

3. As they were bundled items, and not retail items, your local store will not have any option to repackage them in their original packaging and sell them as used. This means they would be returned to some factory, before being able to be resold.

This was not a bad thing for your local store to do, and the fact that they refused to return subsidised goods at retail price for a trade up to a retail wireless combo is perfectly reasonable.

I would have done the same thing if I had been your assistant in store.

David

10. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

1, They ARE retail items, they sell the exact same thing in the next aisle, they are not OEM products or products with limited packaging, they come in the EXACT same package as the retail products (I checked)

2. Fry's electronics and other companies sell products that have been returned for the same price all the time. You've really never bought a previously returned item in a store? Sometimes if something is popular that is all that is left.

3. I agree that apple would probably send them to be repackaged, but then they would still be sold at a healthy margin. That decrease in price that they made is paid for by commitment to making their customers happy (like me) and me buying their computers in the future. Still a better deal for them than treating me poorly and me not buying apple products in the future. Part of buying an apple is buying the support that goes with it and this is an investment in that.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, they don't. If you purchased a retail Mac, the keyboard and mouse were inside the box without the external retail packaging that you would get buying the item off the shelf. Therefore, Apple does not have an original box to sell them in lying about their store.

Well, they can sell them at whatever price they want, but they can't sell them as new. The majority of customers will want a discount for a used product so there is lost margin. Oh, and an Apple keyboard & mouse is not an item in limited supply that someone is likely to pay full price for a used one.

It costs money to transport used products and them transport them back to store to sell them as used/refurb. They are losing margin here. Just because Apple refused to take them back does not mean that their support is poor. If they had a functional problem, I am sure they would have exchanged them no problem.

12. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Maybe in the end it's just the decent thing to do for a loyal customer... Either way I'm glad apple treated me well and I will continue to support them, which will make them more money than saving on the cost of 1 keyboard and mouse.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I agree. OP, you had your chance to get the upgrade, which would have saved you a lot of grief. I think you should count your blessings, because you got very lucky.

I wouldn't;) If I'm buying a new product, I want to be sure that it's a NEW product. I don't care if you only used it for five minutes. Why should I get the previously opened and used one for the same price?
    Technically, the mouse and keyboard that come w/ the iMac are not retail items. They are marked in Apple's inventory as accessories that are provided with every iMac. Apple never intended those units for retail sale, and you can be sure that they aren't going to pay sales taxes (or VAT) on those units either.;)

[/quote]2. Fry's electronics and other companies sell products that have been returned for the same price all the time. You've really never bought a previously returned item in a store? Sometimes if something is popular that is all that is left.[/quote]

I think he meant the UK/Scotland;) I'm guessing you're from the US right? I don't believe that law exists here.

That's all it ever was. You just got lucky and found a good phone rep. You could have easily gotten the person who would have charged you $150 for it.

14. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I went through 4 defective keyboard refurbs and got nothing for it. :)

15. tjohanne macrumors member

Apple annoys me quite a bit

I find it amazing how anyone can claim that Apple do you a special "favour" by helping you out with the keyboard. As was mentioned here, we are not talking about large sums of money in this case. And this is a company with an outrageous pricing policy in any comparison. I cannot stress it enough.

I want to buy an iMac, but instead of 1 gig RAM, I want 4 gigs. For those extra three gigs of RAM, Apple UK charges 540 British pounds. That is 1115 USD :eek:

What other company charges 1115 dollars for 3 gigs of RAM?

It's not like they do you a major favour by selling you a machine at all.. The customer does Apple an enormous favour by sticking to their products. I am amazed that anyone can claim otherwise.