I love applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Apr 15, 2012.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I love applecare and here's why everyone should get it:

I bought my MBP in October of 2008. The new unibodies had just come out and I got one of the last old school MBP's on clearance. When you added up all the discounts, my total came out to $1150 for a 15" MBP with it's discrete graphics card. The computer had about 3 issues, which applecare took care of quickly. They damaged the computer on the 3rd repair and when I called them about it, they were super cool and replaced my computer with a brand new mbp that would have cost $2,000 had I bought it. Fast forward to today, 3.5 years later and I'm thinking of getting a new MBP. I'm scanning craigslist and the resale value of my MBP seems to be... $1150!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, that's all very well, however I bought a 17" MacBook Pro back in 2007. WITHOUT Applecare.

Just under two years later, it developed a problem - there was a manufacturing defect with the graphics card.

Although it was out of guarantee, Apple replaced it with a brand new machine - a 2009 unibody MBP (I'm typing this on it). I didn't even have to fight for it.

Applecare or not - Apple's customer service is the best, and is the reason why they have a customer for life (I've been an Apple customer since 1987 btw).

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I agree that Apple has great customer service. After a couple of failed repair visits my older MBP was replaced with a new late 2011 15' MBP. I had 4 GB of 3rd party ram in the old MBP and the Genius Guy put 8 GB of Apple ram in the new machine.

4. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

5. Lame duck macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP in the UK and on a trip to the states it developed a fault - the screen was displaying lots of red lines/pixels.

Took it to the store in Caesar's Palace forum shops in vegas, they diagnosed faulty screen but didn't have one in stock. Next day was flying to Boston for 3 days so they booked me into the store there.

Walked into Boston store. Confirmed faulty screen. Said the standard job would be 1-2 days. I said that I had applecare and I was flying to new york in a couple of days and was it possible to do it faster?

It was ready 50 minutes later.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its a great way to protect your laptop, but I will say in owning an apple laptop from way back in the powerbook days I've only needed warranty work twice.

I'm not complaining mind you and applecare is a no brainer for laptops, I am happy that its there just in case :)

7. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I've decided that instead of selling this puppy and getting an Air or newer MBP with the refresh, I'll install a SSD to squeeze another couple of years out of it!

Maybe I should write a thank you note to Johnny Ive.

8. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Update: I've been using the SSD for several months and it's a huge success. This computer will easily last me another 2-4 years.

9. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I've had an MBP for 3 years. I didn't purchase AppleCare, and the only thing wrong with it was 1 bout of accidental damage in the end of the third year (that wouldn't have been covered by AppleCare).

So by your logic, this means no one should buy AppleCare, right?

EDIT: Continuing on with our logical fallacies, perhaps we can surmise that AppleCare actually CAUSES damage - the only people who post about it seem to have AppleCare, and since EVERYONE that has damage posts about it, that means that AppleCare actually caused the damage, right?

:p :p :p

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've been with Apple since 1991, ordering nearly every new PowerBook and MacBook Pro since each were released. When it comes to AppleCare, I don't buy it for iPhones, iPads and the like.

But I do buy it without fail for each and every one of my laptops. Largely because I give them to family members or friends every time I buy a new one. I want them to have the coverage should they ever need it. It's worth three years peace of mind.

11. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Love the name ixoides. Do you have experience with Borellia Burgdorferi, by any chance? :)