I love Craigslist

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by akshep, Sep 15, 2013.

1. akshep macrumors member

I was browsing Craigslist last night just for shiggles and came across an ad for a powermac. It was a 450mhz g4 with 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig hdd. The guy wanted 40 bucks for it and I thought what the hell why not. I met up with him today to buy it and he said he had two other macs that he was going to throw in because he didn't want them anymore. One was a iMac g3 slot load and the other was a powermac g4 quicksilver. I got all of this for 40 bucks. I get home and start to look at the "quicksilver". It's really a 1.42ghz dual processor MDD. I must say that I'm pretty happy! The only problem with the mdd is that it has no ram, hdd, or psu. Once I get paid I'm going to start looking for parts to get this beast running.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Awesome score dude. Have fun with it all!

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I've sent you a PM...

4. akshep thread starter macrumors member

I do have one question. What is the fastest gpu that I can put in the mdd? I know it uses an agp slot, but it will only take certain cards with out flashing it.

5. romphoneiu macrumors newbie

me too,I know it uses an agp slot, but it will only take certain cards with out flashing it.[​IMG]

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Here's a link to a great site by japamac about ppc video cards (and lots more).

The most common cards I have seen are the radeon 9600 and x800xt. The best one is the GeForce 7800GS.

7. Swampus, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

OEM G5 AGP cards will work with pins 3 and 11 disabled.

You'd probably get more bang for your buck with a flashed card, though. A FireGL X3 flashed to X800 XT or Nvidia 7800GS would be about the best. The 7800GS is superior hardware, but ATI drivers are better in Leopard, so probably not much difference in actual use?

I opted for the FireGL.

Here is my OpenMark score on my MDD:

Attached Files:

8. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

For OpenMark 3D scores for other cards, check here.

9. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Wait. Since when does the x800 xt work in an mdd? Didnt work in mine....

10. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I edited for clarity. I'm using a FireGL X3 flashed to an x800 with v109 rom. ATI Displays 4.5.7 also needs to be installed. This yields two usable DVI ports in Leopard 10.5.8. If I'm not mistaken, an actual X800 card will work, but with only analog usable?

11. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Here is more info on using 8x agp cards in G4 Macs. They need to have pins 3 and 11 disabled. I used tape to get a flashed radeon 9700 working in a MDD.

12. DaKKs, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

DaKKs macrumors 6502

Well, I have an X800 that works splendidly in a G5, but is dead as a doornail in my G4 MDD (867 DP). Pins are taped too. Redid them four times in case i screwed something up. Displays is installed too.

I was going to reflash it, but my only AGP rig died a pretty spectacular death a year ago. Card's been sitting on a shelf since then. I moved on to a Powerbook instead. The MDD is pretty useless without Core image. Cpu chokes on almost anything.

13. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Aye. Core Image adds a lot to these machines. I wish I could think of something else for you to try. I can't think of a reason why it would work in your G5, but not the MDD with the pins taped. I'm no expert here. The only cards that I've flashed have been a couple of X3s and a couple of 9800 Pros.

Normally, I'd suggest that you could get a good answer from Japamac over on Apple's forums, but he hasn't been around for a few months. 666sheep also knows a lot about the individual nuances of these high end cards. Maybe try to get his attention in another thread if he doesn't see this one.

Either version of the MDD PSU should be able to handle the power requirement, so I don't think that's an issue.

Just to rule out a software issue, maybe try booting your MDD from your G5's drive?

I personally don't like messing around with tape, so I removed the R2 and R4 surface mount resistors, but that's probably not good advice for you since you might want to use it in a G5. Sounds like you've already ruled that out, though. In at least one of those four times, you would have gotten it right.

14. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

15. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I wouldn't mind a MDD, I think it would be pretty cool. But the fact you got those other macs was a sweet deal!

16. akshep thread starter macrumors member

Big thanks to jbarley! Hooked me up with some parts to get the mdd going.

17. APhillyApple macrumors regular

I have never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

18. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Chop the traces.

19. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Don't cut the traces. It's too easy to cut more than one intended and damage the card. Tape is safe. Removing the corresponding surface mount resistors is safe. Both can also be easily undone.

DaKKs, you should start your own thread on this. I think you'd have a good chance of solving the problem that way. The folks who know a lot about video cards are probably more likely to click on a thread about video cards than a thread about Craigslist.

20. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Yeah, not gonna happen. This way i can still sell the card if i cant get it to work. Noone is going to buy a card with parts removed/disabled, even it its done properly.

Already started one thread when i first bought the card. Issue was never solved. Used it in a G5 for a short period of time until now it died on me. Card still works in my sisters G5, so its undamaged.

21. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Too bad you're nowhere near here. Just putting mine on sale...

RGDS,

22. akshep thread starter macrumors member

Again thanks jbarley! I got the parts needed in the mail today. Just finished putting it together and got tiger installed. I must say it runs tiger like a champ!

23. jbarley, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You are very welcome, just glad to see the parts being put to good use.

24. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Excited for you!

I love hearing about people getting good deals - dont get me wrong I like really good deals also.