I love having a job :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by minicoop503, Jul 30, 2008.

1. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I made a post a while back saying how I got my first job and all that...

Well, I just got my first full paycheck today, and I made $950! I've never had that much money in my life! haha.

I still have at least 2 more weeks working full time during the summer, so I could have 3,000 by the end of the summer. Now I just need to find something to buy :). Lol I'm probably going to end up saving at least half or more of it.

This is sort of a random post, but just would like to share my excitement of my first paycheck. :)

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

dude, try to save some. Honestly. Put it in a bank account that can;t be accessed via debit card so you have to go into the bank to get it out.

Congrats on the first pay, it rocks. :D

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations! My first pay check was $15 for 3 hours work when I was 13. I was similarly excited :D!

If you work all summer you'll almost have enough to snag a sexy girl/boyfriend ;).

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats!

I remember getting my 1st "real" paycheck and I felt like I was rolling in dough! I had a job and was going to school on a scholarship and summer was free food and housing thanks to my parents.

It was tempting to splurge, but the best is to buy what you need and save all you can.

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Get a credit card ASAP.

Just kidding. Definitely save some. And congratulations... first paycheck is a great feeling.

6. SilentGreg macrumors member

Congratulations!

Yeah, save your money! Then you can buy that nice Aston Martin several years from now! ;):cool:

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Save at least 75% for now. You'll thank yourself later, next summer, when you make even more money, save the same amount, and you'll have quite the hefty savings account! And you'll still have plenty of money to spend on what you please. Make that a rule when you earn any money—save at least half of it, most preferably 60-75% of it. Once you start making big money (an actual self-sustaining income) you can lower that percentage, because you'll have more costs. But for now, save save save!

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

aaaaah... that wonderful feeling. Brings back memories :D

Congratulations. Make sure to reward yourself by spending some of it on something you wanted, it will be one of the sweetest purchases you make.

That being said, I'll add +1 to those recommending saving some of it. I would go for at least 50% savings, that way you can spend it later if you need it, or if you want to on something else.

9. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Congrats! What is it that you do for work? Like others have said, save most of it.....for the new MacBook that is, jk. You will be happy later when you have a little extra money around.

10. daniel89 macrumors newbie

This summer I'm working my first job too!

So far I've resisted the urge to splurge but don't know if I'll hold out until school starts.

Besides, there's always those Jethro Tull concert tix I'll need to buy.

11. minicoop503 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I probably am going to save a lot of it. I need to at least buy something though, haha. I get my driver's license next year so I will need money for a car.

As for what I do, I'm an intern at an engineering firm. Pretty good pay for my age there.

12. Queso macrumors G4

$950 in a month? You're lucky it's not 12 months ago. Someone would have sold you a $500k mortgage by now :D

13. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

if u have another paycheck comming then spend this one. get the "spending" over with and save all the rest.
    i got my ...4th paycheck today, second of this year. but mine was for 2800 for 2 weeks ;) it was great. :D

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I love getting money - and the feeling is even better when you've earned it for yourself at your own job. Cool!

Save as much of it as you can, really. If you invest $1,000 when your 18, I read somewhere where it could be like half your retirement when your 65. Or was it 95? I don't remember. Learn to manage and budget your finances. With a big check like that it's hard to do it sometimes, but try.

ANYway... good for you mate!

EDIT: The American Tax Payer would like to thank you as well for working, as you are able, and not living on welfare watching sitcoms and eating ho-hos.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Awesome :D
    I'm not doing freelance at the mo but it was my first job. 2 hours worth of pixel art for $400 (so much because I had to relinquish any rights to the art and the company I freelance for makes money off the art too - but I don't care!). Best was $500 for 2 hours worth again, worst was $100 for 12 hours worth :eek:

I should probably do some more to tide myself over before I get a full time job. But have fun with the money for now :) give yourself a few months of happy spendings then start saving some away.

16. SilentGreg macrumors member

Now-now. There are legitimate people who lose their job (ie; me) who go on unemployment while looking for a job during our horrible economic times. Even now that I have finally found a job, I still get some money from the state as I make nowhere near the same money I did at my previous job.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like a burden, I want to cancel the unemployment insurance but NJ won't let me. Oh well, I return to a new school in September so hopefully I can finally get rid of the insurance and the feeling of being a burden to all the legit tax payers. :cool:

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Money money money money........MONEY!!

Save your money up and the next month you will have MORE MONEY!! and nothing beats having more of it.

Bless

18. minicoop503 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I read that somewhere too. I might as well do it. 1,000 might seem like a lot now, but it can really pay off in the end.

O&M Engineering

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Buy a pile of iPhones and enjoy! :p

I wish I had that much cash! Could help with my mission for a DeLorean!

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

get some credit cards and max them out. will make you work harder!!!

haha jk do not do that

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

Don't forget to shop around for different accounts! Unfortunately going against the above advice, but some of the online banks have the best interest rates and deals on savings and checking accounts.

24. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Starting my full time job soon as well cant wait being a CAD designer :D

EDIT 1: does anyone know of a good internet banking solution (im in the UK??)

EDIT 2: Congrats OP :D

25. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't mean that in any offense to folks who can work, look for work, but are not able to find any atm - I respect the people who want a job and actively pursue one. The reason this gets under my skin is I live next door to a slum-lord rental property and you wouldn't believe the trash that moves in and out of that house. Every one on some obese-related disability (from watching TV rather than working), food stamps and welfare when they have the health and energy to walk all over town, fix their cars, beat their children, kill their pets, yatta yatta - and my Grandmother, who despite severe arthritis worked into her 70s to pay off the mortgage on her house can't get the assistance she needs now that she's in her 90s. All I'm saying is it is respectable when someone looks for work rather than leech off the system.
    </soapbox>

No offense intended to you :)