I love my 21.5" iMac 2011 :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macchiato2009, May 28, 2011.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

just got it yesterday :)

21.5" i7 , ram 4 Gb, HDD: 2 Tb

ram to be upgraded to 12 Gb soon

so fast, gfx are awesome with games

the fan is very quiet even if i can hear it, compared to a complete silent fan on my MBP
    but nothing is perfect

screen is awesome, trackpad makes you forget about typical mouse

i also wished the SSD was not so expensive

or at least an option for 128 Gb would have been nice

in conclusion: for the first time in years a very nice bang for the buck

for those who are considering a MBP, have a thought about getting an iMac + iPad
    it makes a great combo
    and you can get 2 machines for a the price of 1 (compared to high end 15 or 17" MBP)

2. jduffy macrumors member

Me Too!

I bought the first 2011 iMac at the Cincinnati Store and waited a few hours while they got their shipment set-up in their POS system.

I also love it and our family is now 75% Mac computers with just two Windows systems remaining. One that can never go away because of the applications not being available on Mac, and the mini laptop that will probably go when the new Macbook Air systems come out sometime this summer.

The iMac is great and really helped clean up the clutter on my desk. Glad I went to the Mac.

Duffy

3. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

i've been using Apple laptops for 7 years now

i never wanted a desktop before

probably because a bit overpriced and configurations were a bit too weak

especially the mac mini

this year, i finally decided to get rid of my MBP and went for the iMac for the very first time

i am highly convinced that iMac + iPad make the perfect combo

1/ i don't move that much and everytime carrying a laptop is annoying
    2/ the new iMac will last for years now that no matter how i will use it, i will not see any difference in terms of performance
    3/ for the same budget of a 15" MBP, i can get 2 machines !!! 1 one with a larger screen and a strong configuration, and an iDevice that i can bring with me anywhere with no pain

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hmmm how about changing iPad? It never will be mobile workstation. For me the best combo would be iMac & Macbook Air. Air is fast (because of ssd) . Processor might be weak for serious computing, but definitely better than iPad, and it run mostly anything u can with iMac.

Drawback? Well its quite expensive, but i'd wait the new MBA released n buy the 2010 MBA for cheap!! Yea it has no thunderbolt, but it's perfect for mobility.

5. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

well, it's always about your own needs

me, i'm considering imac + ipad

because i had a MBP and i never carried out of the house

for my needs, hanging out with the ipad just to surf the web and watch my TV series in the bus is just enough

for real computing stuff, the iMac will be on my desk for that

having a MBA in addition to the iMac would be a luxury for me

of course, it's so nice, so cute, i would love to have it

but do i really need 2 real computers at home ? no

the ipad is a nice device for me, because it does basic stuff
    and because watching videos on the iphone is a pain for my eyes

6. Brown Trout, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

Brown Trout macrumors member

THX for the perspective as an MBP owner > iMac/IPad as I have been similarly relying on high-end HP notebooks -vs- desktops at home for some time now.

I will probably be a pile-on to your review when mine, also a 21.5 gets here next Thursday. Have 2 flat desktop screens at work for the different systems but have not had a home desktop since about 1993. Serious move to Mac consideration started when I got an iPhone 4 and last year used a Mac at the Navy PG School, rather unusual since DoD is so Windows-dependent.

I am doing little more than basic email and web access on travel so between the iPhone, a work Blackberry and an HP Netbook; I think I have no real need for one of the MBPs although they look great. I too may migrate to an iPad to replace the Netbook some point.

I also added a TrackPad and am interested in how this thing works.

A little anxious about PC>Mac data transfer but I think I'll be OK//

7. specialk0449 macrumors member

I bought the new iMac for my wife recently. She converted from a windows HP laptop. She has the iPad2. She takes it with her when she goes out of the house. The HP was pretty heavy.

It took her just a few hours to get used to the MAC OS. The iMac plus iPad is a perfect combination for her needs.