I love my 3GS shape

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by David The Scot, Sep 1, 2010.

1. David The Scot macrumors newbie

I have been looking at the iphone 4 in the apple store but although the screen is impressive I don't like the shape! I have got so used to curves of the 3GS in the palm of my hand, that the "4" feels like a brick. I know it is thinner and faster and better screen but I just don't like the feel.

So I would love all the tricks that the "4" has but in the body of the "3GS"
    and with the extra space can be used to get a decent battery life.

So bring on the "iphone Classic"

2. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

3. Hemmo macrumors regular

this topic sounds bit weird and dirty..i like Ip4 shapes more :)

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Getting in before the "cool story bro" post start up.....
    glad you like your 3gs. Just wondering what the point of your post is. If it was just to let us all know you like the shape of your current phone all I have to say is..... Cool story bro.

Oh and the 4 gets better battery life than 3gs so fail for you.

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I'm torn 50/50. I like the 3GS shape for how it feels while holding it, but I like the 4's shape, in regards to the look of it, better. Of course this is all moot for me as I'm looking into picking up a used Nexus One in the very near future to replace my 3GS.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I was also a hater of the ip4 form factor, but you get used to it. I still don't love it, but I don't really hate it anymore. It is definitely chunkier "looking". I just received my seido holster and hated it immediately, since the ip4 has the larger edges now the holster is much larger and thicker than my 3gs holster, so I probably won't bother using it.

The one thing I like about the ip4 is that having the back being all flat it's easy to apply a screen protector to the back and make it look good. Now I don't stress when putting my ip4 down or sliding it on a table.

7. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

I'm not really sure on this one. My wife has a 3GS, and when I hold that it feels nice and comfortable, but also old at the same time.

I think the more square edges of the iPhone 4 make it feel new, and I like having the glass on both sides. And it's certainly not uncomfortable.

8. AppelGek macrumors member

one of my biggest doubts before switching was the shape... and now that i have it i find my wife's 3G feel awkward.

9. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Sorry, but the 3GS feels and looks cheap compared to the iPhone 4. That plastic back is just nasty. I liked the original iPhone much better.

10. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

finally found a person shared the same taste!:p i would also like to have 3gs body with every good thing the 4 had

11. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I think I still prefer my iPhone 3G's shape to my iPhone 4. I wish they would make an iPhone in the shape of a 3G/3GS with the solid feel of a 4.

iPhone 5? :rolleyes: A guy can dream.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    The 3G and 3GS also feels bulkier.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah the iP3 shape is better.

However iP4 with bumper case is really grippy = pretty difficult to drop.

14. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Regarding the shape with respect to the battery. There is a reason why apple didn't include that tapered back on the iPhone 4. Let's think of it, the tapered back goes from very thick in the center to very thin on the edges. Now let's look at the way the battery is shapped. The battery goes from top to bottom or vice versa, parallel to your screen. The battery itself is rectangular, with the longer side going as we speak from top to bottom. Here are the scanerios and you have to visualize this to get my point.

1) apple uses a flat back plaice they do, the battery can go from top to bottom (almost all the way) and can be as thick as the side of the phone itself (minus screen side and small the stuff.

2) apple could taper the back like the 3G/3GS but it would have to make the battery shorter because it won't fit on the edges and thinner because it won't fit on the edges again.

3)apple could keep the same battery, use the current design on the iPhone4 and just add for visual appeal a tapered backbit unlike what you think, it would be kind of an add-on to the iPhone 4. It would be like a rectangle back +tapered, making the phone thick for mo reason but appeal.

I don't know if you can see what my point is but the form factor really helped in many points aother than the battery but it also helped the battery a lot. Now the battery can Be as thick and long as the phone itself. Plus if you do stress analysis on a tapered shape, some parts may see excessive stress loads because of it's shape that can be distributed across the whole back, had it been a flat back.

Thanks
    AE