I love my iphone 2g but....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleeper, Nov 14, 2008.

1. fleeper macrumors 6502

I am considering upgrading to a 3G model. Is it worth it? To me, 3G would be very nice if it is much faster than edge (never used 3G) and I would think the GPS would be nice to have built in.

Any other reasons I should consider? Thanks much for any input.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I would maybe ask someone (if anyone) that has a 3G in your area how their coverage is.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

And the fact for faster data speeds you want to spend 10$ extra each month. when in reality you'll probably not be using 3G that much...if you have wi-fi at home.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The extra money you're spending on your data plan is definitely not worth it. Especially with how sporatic the At&t 3G coverage is in most places.

I'll be sticking with my 2G even though I've been told the 3G coverage is excellent in the Northern Virginia area.

5. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

wow yall are crazy, for me, the $10 is easily worth saving 20 seconds for every webpage, downloading apps wayy faster, and having myspace/facebook or any web based apps load quicker. 10 bucks is worth it for an impatient person like me :D

side note, 3G coverage is awesome here in jax, fl tho... its everywhere. so yea if your area isnt as great, it may not be worth it.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Were crazy, and you Work for AT&T. Could there be a correlation between the two?:p

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and 3G coverage is phenomenal. So, for me, the additional $10 per month has been worth it tenfold (pardon the pun). As suggested, find a friend that has a 3G iPhone and take a tour of the area you travel most and then checkout the 3G coverage map at att.com, and this should help with your decision. Good luck...

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

data plans for all att smart phones are 30bucks a month.

the only reason it was 20 before is because it wasnt really classified as a 'smart phone' and they had a deal with apple. but now its the same as all the others.

and. for the people say you dont need 3g if you have wifi at home. umm. why are you using ur phone at home to go on the internet when you have a computer?

9. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

For me, a former 2G owner, GPS, not 3G sold me on getting the new iPhone. Not only does it give you actual GPS, but it gives you the ability to be on the internet or in maps and be able to receive phone calls.

10. fleeper thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks much for all the comments here. I think I am just going to keep my current phone unless there is a good price drop on the 3G model.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah, I always wondered this myself. I rarely, if ever, use my phone at home. Why would I want to surf the web on a phone when I have a laptop in front of me. Sometimes I use it when sitting on the couch watching TV and want to look something up real quick, but it's hardly a computer replacement.

12. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

And I'm in the Detroit, MI area. There's perfect 3G coverage within a 100 mile radius of my house. I love it!

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Its pointless, unless you have an 8GB GEN 1 and need a 16GB for extra capacity then definitely go 3G. I have a 3G coz i was mugged 2 days ago and lost my GEN 1. But I use Wi-Fi at home, in the office and when I'm on the go 3G...

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's pretty much my thought. It'll take more than just 3G and GPS for me to spend all that money to upgrade. I'm surely not spending $200 plus another $10-15 per month (no free text messages with the $30 plan) and getting no storage boost. Adding the extra $100 for the 16GB still isn't worth it to me when I have to live with it for at least 2 years.

I'm determined to wait for at least a 32GB model and perhaps a 64GB model before I jump ship. That also gives AT&T more time to upgrade their network and for Apple to improve the battery life and other issues I have been hearing about on here.

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

and that means?

i have a regular phone bill just like the rest of yall, my little at&t discount isnt much. either way, $10 for 10x the speed, gps, and voice/data at the same time = worth it.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow! 10x the speed! That's awesome! Do you have an advanced iPhone that's not released yet? I wanna get 10x speed!!! Apple's commercials must be lying about "twice as fast, half the price"

17. Cask Guest

Don't sell your First Gen iPhone , it is not worth it. Every time I look at a first gen I regret so much selling mine, it really looked much better than the 3G. And there is not that much of a difference between 3g and Edge in most areas.

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3G isn't twice as fast, it's more. But none the less, I would upgrade.

But if you can wait, you might as well wait for the next iPhone to come out, which will be next summer more than likely.

19. daisuke07 macrumors regular

since when was it not classified as a smartphone?

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

considering 2G speed test are 130k-160k, and my 3G is 1300k-1500k. yea id say 10x is about right on my non released advanced iphone.

21. topcash macrumors member

i have 3g and when my phone switches back to edge I hate it.
    3g is way worth it!
    [​IMG]