I love my new 2016 15" MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nnicot, Dec 8, 2016.

1. nnicot, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

nnicot macrumors member

Had it for a few days now and absolutely love this thing. Silver, i7 2.7, 16/512. Coming from a 2012 rMBP i7 2.6/16/512, so I actually wasn't expecting huge differences in performance. Haven't REALLY pushed this thing yet, but I don't anticipate the machine will have any problems handling the 36mp files out of my d810, or the bit of 4k video editing I'll be doing.

The Good:
    Battery life:
    I've been consistently getting 10-11 hours with normal usage for internet, youtube, word processing at >50% brightness. Simply awesome battery life and all my fears about it from reading others' experiences have been put to rest.

Keyboard:
    Also was initially a little scared that I wouldn't like the keyboard, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it. Like others have mentioned it really requires more of a 'gliding' typing action rather than a firm pressing action. Accuracy for me is similar to the older keyboard, and though the sound is a little bit louder it's not unreasonable and actually quite satisfying.

Screen:
    Noticeably brighter. Better colors. Slightly sharper.

Hard Drive:
    The drive is blazingly fast. I don't know the numbers but file transfers feel almost 50% faster than my 2012 SSD.

Speakers:
    Loud, clear, great. No complaints.

Feel:
    The laptop just feels solid and well put-together. I had a Dell XPS for a few months and the build quality and trackpad 'feel' was just not up to the standards of the MBP.

The not-so-good:
    Trackpad:
    It's too big! The palm rejection works great except when it doesn't. I've found the cursor jumping around the page because of inadvertently touching the trackpad while typing. Quite annoying if you're not watching the screen while you type! I don't know if there's a reasonable fix to this. Also not a fan of the force touch.
    Also a minor quibble but I wish they hadn't changed the size of the left/right keys. It's slightly more difficult to feel for them now without looking.

Touchbar:
    I can definitely see the potential here once App integration becomes more widespread. However, now it seems quite cumbersome to have to look down at the thing to change brightness and volume. Also, where one would be able to immediately change brightness/volume with a direct push of the button, now requires pushing the arrow on the toucher first to expand the icons, and then adjusting the slider (for volume) or pressing the icons, all while looking at the thing the whole time. Further customization options are necessary. I wouldn't mind if there was an option to just lock the touchbar in a layout similar to the previous-gen keyboard.
    edit: looks like I just didnt know how to use the thing properly!

Magsafe:
    I don't have a problem with USB-C ports, but I definitely wish they had kept Magsafe for obvious reasons.

Conclusion:
    Even with the faults, I still love this thing. It's just an overall pleasure to use which so far hasn't been duplicated in any other PC laptop that I know of. I'm quite confident this computer will last me comfortably for at least the next four years.

2. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

Yeah I'm hoping mine will last me at least five! I'm coming from a 2010 MBP which is still running strong, I just needed a computer that ran OS X and Windows 10 (for CAD and coding software). I bought a duo flash drive and have no issues accomplishing any of my tasks.

3. Agmnu macrumors member

For customizing touchbar - http://www.imore.com/how-customize-control-strip-touch-bar-macbook-pro#expand
    Also, you do not have to wait for icons to expand to change the slider. Just hold down the volume button and slide the finger without lifting it. It is more comfortable than non-touchbar version. This is presuming that volume icons are shown always.

4. nnicot thread starter macrumors member

Ah that is neat! Thanks for the tip!!

5. Sohappy macrumors member

Sohappy

If you go in system preferences, keyboard, shortcut, and then clic on function keys in the list, you can add the apps you want to work with classic keys. In those apps, you can then hold fn to have other classic functions.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

In settings you can also make the full control strip appear with the fn key.

7. EncodingMeister macrumors newbie

EncodingMeister

I received my MBP 15" TB 2.9/16/512/460 this week and I also absolutely love it! Seriously everything about this machine is beautiful. It's very powerful and the screen is awesome too!

The only thing I need to get used to is the keyboard so far.

8. Easttime, Dec 9, 2016

Easttime macrumors 6502

Have had my silver 13" MBP TB i5 16RAM 500SSD for 3 days. Got it because I had to have a replacement laptop and wanted to stay in the ecosystem. Hoping the steep dollar price is worth it.

Love the Apple setup ease. One hour and I had all my essential comms data synced via iCloud. First evening I had installed all my former App Store purchases. Photos downloaded fron ICPL in half an hour. iTunes downloaded my music. MS Office 365 install was a breeze. Transferred data from USB 3 external hard drive using the $9 adapter. So easy to do a clean install of everything these days. This is why I paid the premium, to stick with Apple's ecosystem. In another 3-4 hours I had filevaulted the hard drive, started encrypted Time Machine backups and done a filevaulted Carbon Copy Clone.

First impressions:
    - Be warned that this MBP fires up as soon as you open the lid out of the box. Went through the setup in my car in the UPS parking lot. Got to Internet via hotspot using my iPhone.
    - Got 6 hours battery out of the box before I had to plug it in (factory charge).
    - came nowhere near stressing 16 GB RAM doing multiple setup, backup and encrypting things, and the SSD speed is very nice.
    - I really like the feel of the new keyboard. But it sure is clicky-sounding. Won't be using it in bed.
    - I love the build quality, silence and slim light portable form factor, but hope the hardware lasts 5 years. Bought AppleCare.
    - The screen is lovely, but I would have been happy with less.
    - Touch ID is wonderful.
    - The trackpad doesn't feel too big, but I use a Magic Trackpad all the time with my desktop Mac Mini. Certainly not intrusive.
    - The touch bar is rather nice, actually. Keeps surprising me with easy to reach functions. We'll see if that feeling lasts. Nice luxury item.
    - found the drag and drop bug, but so far I haven't had any of the bad problems being reported.

Still queasy about how much I paid for this thing, but so far so good.

I'll report back in a few weeks after the honeymoon.

9. macrem, Dec 9, 2016

macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm coming from / migrated to the same setup as OP (except SG color) and have the same sentiment except for me the only not-so-good was the cost...

I like the big track pad. I'm using two-finger right clicks and don't get any false taps from my palm.

Already like the benefits touch bar offers now much more than missing physical keys.

I also like all USB-C and am planning to get an adapter that brings back MagSafe functionality. I 'd like to have the green/orange charged/charging leds too!

10. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

The shame is that I had to search for a love thread to post in. I LOVE this big beautiful machine. I got it yesterday and I'm upgrading from a 12" macbook to a 15" MacBook Pro. I'm thrilled with it. No spinning beach balls, so freezing, and enough power to run all my crap at once. My favorite part is the screen. Haven't found much use for the touch bar yet, but Touch ID is cool. I wish it was more integrated, but in all, I'm head over heels for this mammoth machine.