Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
After reading a lot of opinions on the interwebs I decided to pick up a 16Gb Black iPad mini.

I am so pleased with the size of the device. IMO it is the perfect size, and is very light compared to my wife's iPad 2. At the same resolution as the iPad 2 I thought they would look the same. However because the iPad mini has the same resolution as the iPad 2 and is scaled down in size, it appears to be a sharper display.

Don't hesitate to buy one if you don't have one. I refuse to use the iPad 2 because if feels very heavy and awkward to hold now that I experienced the iPad mini!

Last edited:

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It's the same resolution but the screen is smaller so the pixel density is higher, this is why it looks better than iPad 2.

Anyway it's a great device, I love my Mini too!

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I just got mine today(so excited!). The local Walmart finally got them back in stock. I ended up getting a black 32GB wifi model. I've spent the last couple hours putting all my favorite apps on it. Now I need to concentrate on finding a good case since I'm paranoid about dropping it with nothing protecting it. I want something like my Marware Folio that is on my ipad2.

rmastbro

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
It's the same resolution but the screen is smaller so the pixel density is higher, this is why it looks better than iPad 2.

Edited original post

That's what I was trying to write!

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
The INVELLOP BLACK Leatherette Case is what I had ready in my Amazon shopping cart when I first picked up my Mini this morning. It's good to know I'm picking the best case. Placing my order now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I'm waiting for the iPad Mini to arrive on this island.
As soon as they do, I'll get one.
The case I'll be ordering is from TwelveSouth, a 'Book Book'.
dsc04291.jpg

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I bought mine about a week ago. I've found it does about 12 hours on a charge and since it's the perfect size, it gets a lot of use.

My only complaint would be directed towards iOS, and it's lack of multi user capability.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Have to say it is nice to see someone that actually likes their iPad mini, instead of the usual complaint threads.:cool:

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Have to say it is nice to see someone that actually likes their iPad mini, instead of the usual complaint threads.:cool:

Battery life is awesome too! Only had it plugged into computer while I synced songs for not even 5 mins.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358729880.680881.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358729880.680881.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 215

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
The problem with iPad mini is that Safari is optimized for the regular iPad screen size, and when transferring to mini, Apple just makes a simple scale down to squeeze into the small screen. As a results, some of the web sites look too crowded in the mini screen, and the fonts are too small.

Hope Apple can work on the Safari to optimize it to the smaller screen.

Last edited:

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
London
The problem with iPad mini is that Safari is optimized for the regular iPad screen size, and when transferring to mini, Apple just makes a simple scale down to squeeze into the small screen. As a results, some of the web sites look too crowded in the mini screen, and the fonts are too small.

Hope Apple can work on the Safari to optimize it to the smaller screen.

Not thought about downloading Chrome and trying that instead?

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I've been using the paid version of Mercury Browser. Within the settings you can increase the font size for individual websites. For example I chose to increase the font for MacRumors to 150% and it retains that setting whenever I return to the site. However for Amazon's homepage, increasing the font doesn't work. It just pushes everything on the page to the far left leaving blank space on the right.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I wish the navigation buttons for safari were on the bottom or you could use gestures to go back or forward.

Atomic browser. In full screen mode you can set up navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen. Also, can set up basic gestures, although it is a little glitchy.

When I was jail broken, I used full screen for safari tweak and it had perfect OSX like gestures for back and forward.

Jailbreak for iOS 6 wil be sweet.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Which will make the Mini have more bulk than the full iPad.

That may be important to you, but personally I don't care if it gets bulky. But that's obvious otherwise I would have chosen an other case, or even no case.
The case on my present iPad 2 is leather, huge and fat, so it'll be an improvement anyhow.

I go to church and preach so now and then, and a bible often is much more bulky.
I like the case because it fits the purpose and scenario I'll be using it for. The look blends in perfectly at a church service. :)

Different people, different choices! ;)

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I've had my mini since last month and I can definitively say that I love how portable it is. When I was deciding to buy. (Ipad mini vs ipad 4) i decided on the ipad mini because of how light it was. When going from the mini to a full sized I could definitely tell the difference. When I first used it I didn't even notice it didn't have the retina display. Now that I've had it I can notice it a little bit.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I surprised my fiancee with a Mini today. I only played with it for a few minutes, but I love the size and weight. She seems to like it a lot too :)

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
I bought mine today :) love it so far. In white. Which is a change for me as all the other Apple products I have bought have been in black. Looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.