I love my Nikon 995 but...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael73, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

it's freakin' old, the response time is horrible, can only shoot jpeg, did I mention 3.2 megapixel, doesn't have the optical zoom I need, etc.

For quite a while I've had my heart set on a Canon G9 but now they've been replaced by a G10 but really I'm open to anything with stiplations.

Here's the situation...next month (or December at the latest) Best Buy will run a silver rewards member special night with 4 years interest free financing. I've been planning on using that night for months to get us a 52" lcd, stand, receiver, 5.1 surround system, upscaling dvd...the works. It just occurred to me that this is the perfect time to work in a new camera given the financing option. I gently mentioned this to my wife tonight and didn't get any pushback so I'm thinking I might finally get the replacement camera I want.

So here are the stipulations...$500 or less, must be available at BestBuy, must shoot RAW, must have manual options, must have really good macro zoom. What are my options?

I want an advanced P&S. I'm realistic enough to know that a DSLR has enough bulk that I won't carry it as much as I should. I'm savvy enough to that sensor size is more important than megapixels. I love taking pictures of flowers and other macro items so any camera must do really well in macro situations.

Ideas? Thoughts? Camera recommendations?

2. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

No suggestions?

So, no one wants to give me any advice about what the best advanced P&S they think I should buy at Best Buy?

Like I mentioned, I don't want the bulk of a dSLR, I'd like to keep the camera itself to under $500 and I want RAW.

Suggestions?

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I was very leery about the G10, what with the increased megapixel count. But the guy over at Luminous Landscape is raving about it - he thinks it is better than the G9.

One thing to note - it's not a shirt-pocket sized camera. More like a coat-pocket sized camera... also, he points out that it's not a low-light, high-ISO camera by any means. Unfortunately very few P&S cameras are, with the tiny pixel sizes they're using now.

4. jake-g macrumors member