I love my school.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My all boys High School is currently using a few students to test a pilot program for the iPad. They are using the iPad to get textbooks and type papers and the things iPad can do for school work. I am so pumped, I talked to the Dean of Students and next year everyone will be able to use one if they can afford it.

To prevent txting and cheating between the iPads and cellphones they are installing some coating in all the buildings to block all cellphone signals during the school day only.

I knew waiting for version 2 of the iPad would be worth it, now all I want is my license! Junior year is only months away!

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

How would that coating only block during the school day? Any passive system like that would block all signals inside the building and getting an active jammier is not legal or is at the very least very difficult to be approved for by the FAC

3. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

"My all boys High School" You lost me there...

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My school only has guys :(

I was thinking the same thing. What gives the school the right to block an AT&T signal that I pay for? I jokingly asked my Dean "How is that legal, what do you guys own the air here?" His reply "Actually, yes we do"

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Glad to hear your school is doing this. Good luck to you!

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Do you have an all girls high school across town and a ladder? Ala "National Lampoon's: Animal House?"

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It not only seems illegal, it IS positively moronic. In an emergency a thousand phones (I'm assuming with teachers and staff counted on top of students) are bricked.

I can see the reasoning behind this, but it is a bad idea if it's true.

8. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My school's dances include girls from about 4 other all girl schools.

I also brought that up with the Dean and he just said the school would use the phones on a landline:eek::eek: Obviously if I just sat next to a window I would be set right?

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

A signal jammer is illegal. What if someone in the building had a heart attack? The amount of students to whip out their phone and call 911 would be massive, yet no one would be able to get through due to the jammer, which could cause the person to die.

Not to mention the fact that they'd be taking away something that you pay for, which, in a broad sense, could be classified as stealing.

A signal jammer should be in use by the US Military against Enemy forces, not in schools because people think the students will cheat. If the school is that worried about others cheating, then they should make a zero tolerance policy - if the student is caught, they should fail the class they were cheating in. If that doesn't get through their head, then not graduating due to lack of credits might. If the school is going to buy a massive amount of iPads, there could be a chance Apple could add some software on them to prevent peer to peer communication.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Wow - it's amazing that the human race ever survived without cell phones. And stealing? I wasn't allowed to use my GameBoy in class - is that the same as stealing too? Sigh...friggin' kids these days...

Holy crap - I sound like my Dad! :p

(for the record - I agree, the solution is a zero tolerance policy for cheating)

11. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

:eek:...no chics but iPads; I don't think that's a fair trade off bro.

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Wait. Let me get this straight. You love your school because you might have an iPad because of it, and that balances the fact that there are no girls? :D

13. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

And from his post it seems he still has to directly pay for the iPad.

So if I understand correctly:

Pay for iPad, lose cell phone use at school, no girls at your school, you love your school.

14. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm as lost as you are. The ability to use iPads in a school is that big of a deal?

15. stefen macrumors newbie

Yes school days are best days of life. I really get very emotional after i hear about school days. I recall all enjoyment that i did at my school

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I may have missed this in your post. Are they implementing a system that only works with iPads, or does it work with other devices too? Seems a bit short sighted to lock themselves into a particular platform.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Holy shiznit, you need a license to use an iPad now?!? :eek::eek:

18. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Haha I mean my drivers license.