Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbpcron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Richmond, VA
I bought my MBP refurb in June with 10.4.8 and have no problems. Why upgrade ? Do you upgrade your HD TV?
Do you upgrade your refrig?

Everything works. What is the compulsion with upgrading?

Is it possible we've been trained to upgrade?

What's your view ??

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I bought my MBP refurb in June with 10.4.8 and have no problems. Why upgrade ? Do you upgrade your HD TV?
Do you upgrade your refrig?

Everything works. What is the compulsion with upgrading?

Is it possible we've been trained to upgrade?

What's your view ??

Um? You mean to Leopard?

Well, quite a few of the 3rd party application makers have already announced that once Leopard officially drops, they will only make applications for Leopard. So, the older versions that work on Tiger will continue to work on Tiger, but they will not update them, only the Leopard applications will get updated.

Also, Leopard has a lot of under the hood optimizations that generally makes it run faster on the same hardware than Tiger. That has pretty much held true for every iteration of OS X. As I saw one person put it "OS X has the atypical quality of having new versions of the OS being faster than the old version on the same hardware" As opposed to Vista which, in general, will run slower on older hardware than XP.

Plus, why not stay up to date?

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
Yes we have been trained to upgrade, but in this case, we are weighing up the odds and realising that the next upgrade will bring some useful improvements that we can make use of.

Bootcamp is one such use. I can definately see myself booting natively in WinXP for gaming, something that cannot be done* in Tiger.

*Bootcamp is a beta, it will expire and demand Leopard to work.

mbpcron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Richmond, VA
I Love My Tiger - part 2

When I bought my MBP, I had read about the problems with 10.4.9 and 10.4.10.

I thought, hmmmm, if everything I need or do works in 10.4.8, why upgrade just because it's there?
I went down that road in the Windows world years ago, always hoping that the next upgrade would be the one.

All I'm saying is decide: Am I satisfied? What will the upgrade really provide?

rhys105

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Its all up to you i suppose, but most people will be upgrading to leopard because it will be the latest version and updates will stop for tiger. also it is the novelty of having a nice new OS on your mac and using new technology - especially with time machine that is on leopard, that will be a very useful tool indeed ;)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I look forward to Leopard, but I will miss Tiger.

How sick is that? Missing an operating system? To paraphrase George Costanza, those Mac B*stards are Sons of B*tches.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I like Tiger as well and I'm going to stick with it.
Personally, I don't see any $100 benefit coming from Leopard and will only upgrade my machines when Tiger is no longer supported or buy a new machine with Leopard pre-installed.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
You don't have to upgrade... I am planning on though... Why mostly for Time Machine I do want an easier approach to backing up my data. Also to keep up with compatibility. Better 64bit support, and Core Animation will soon make a new line of products that are 10.5 only.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I doubt that will happen any time soon - Vista has less choices than XP, and it's going to be the same way with Leopard and Tiger.

That isn't necessarily true. In Windows, people are used to backwards compatibility to the nth degree. They get all whiny when their software from Windows 95 doesn't work in XP. So for devs to not immediately have software that takes advantage of Vista (is there anything to take advantage of? I'm not bashing, merely asking, I know what there is to take advantage of in Leopard, just not Vista) is relatively understandable. Furthermore, Vista was in development for 5-6 years, constantly pushing the date back and changing features. Leopard has been in development for 1.5-2 years with the date pushed back once.

Look at most of the software you can get for Tiger today, 95% of what I have seen says 10.3.9+ or 10.4+. The 3rd party OS X devs seem pretty used to pushing out new versions when new OSes come out. If for no other reason than that they can take advantage of the new aspects of the OS. Core Animation in Leopard is going to really make it hard for the devs to make software that works on both Leopard and Tiger, and they want to take advantage of it, so as I said before, most of them are dropping Tiger and immediately putting out products for 10.5+. Heck, the guys that make Delicious LIbrary have already won an award for best looking Leopard app, and Leopard isn't even out yet!

So to think that Leopard will face a dearth of software specifically for it like Vista has, is kind of silly.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
You don't have to upgrade... I am planning on though... Why mostly for Time Machine I do want an easier approach to backing up my data. Also to keep up with compatibility. Better 64bit support, and Core Animation will soon make a new line of products that are 10.5 only.
Time Machine is the one addition that may get me to upgrade to Leopard, but only after 10.5.3 or so. The initial releases of Tiger were so buggy that they were far less stable than Panther was at the time, plus Tiger required vastly more resources for the same performance. Hopefully Leopard will be different; reports have shown that it runs faster than Tiger, so I hope that is true.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
I have always been a compulsive upgrader. Have to have the latest things. So yes i am happy with tiger, but if there is something better i want it. Also really want time machine to back up with.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think we're all brainwashed. There is such a thing as new features.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
The only real reason I see myself upgrading in the future is because some applications will be written only for Leopard and I'll be left out in the cold. For the moment I'm fine. I just hope that Apple doesn't require 10.5 to upgrade software on my iphone in the near future. Then I would have to upgrade no matter what. It sucks to know that you're only upgrading just to be up to date when your current OS is plenty for you, but sometimes it has to be done.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'm going to upgrade when I can afford it or if Christmas comes before then because my friends will make fun of me if I don't.

tjevans

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
I like Tiger as well and I'm going to stick with it.
Personally, I don't see any $100 benefit coming from Leopard and will only upgrade my machines when Tiger is no longer supported or buy a new machine with Leopard pre-installed.

Obiviously, you have the right to your opinion, but, to give a different view, Andy Ihnatko has a feature in MacWorld where he looks just at the "obvious" changes in Leopard. He compares them to what he would pay in shareware to get the same features in Tiger. He concludes that Leopard is a bargain as you get more than the $129 asking price.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Obiviously, you have the right to your opinion, but, to give a different view, Andy Ihnatko has a feature in MacWorld where he looks just at the "obvious" changes in Leopard. He compares them to what he would pay in shareware to get the same features in Tiger. He concludes that Leopard is a bargain as you get more than the $129 asking price.

Well, yeah there are some cool features, no doubt. 129 for me is still to pricey.
The good news is that I got an UPT version, and that was definitely worth the price.
The good/bad news is I'm still not going to install it probably until January 2008 which until then I'm more than happy to use Tiger.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
From the other side - Had Leopard since launch, and I'm within an inch of going back to Tiger.

It seems to have been one disappointment after another for me.

I've always favored Stripes over Spots...

sgmorr

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
I'm doing just fine with my iMac G4 flat panel and Tiger. I don't think I'll upgrade to Leopard until I upgrade my hardware.

I've read about Leopard and seen it in person and there are a couple of things I sure hope Apple "corrects" before I upgrade. The withdrawal of the hierarchical menus from the right side of the Dock and their replacement with Stacks is a horrible step backward. And I cannot fathom who thought the new icons for Folders looked good. There is also no longer any colorful branding of the "special" folders (System, Library, Applications, etc.). This is a bad GUI change, but at least it's just cosmetic. The implementation of Stacks and the removal of the hierarchical capabilities is, however, a major blunder.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You wouldn't believe how many of us couldn't give a rat's @$$ about TM. I'm keeping Leopard with crossed fingers that my many problems will be fixed soon, but TM is the last thing I care about.

clap.gif
I've had various back-up routines in place for years. I wouldn't replace them with TM. Not that I think it's bad; for the average user it's an excellent app, and the interface is effing gorgeous, but it's totally unnecessary for me, as my backups are logged and have to be regularly backed up to media and removed from site (insurance reasons, protection from theft/fire). It's a cool app, but not really as big a selling point to some of us.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
i installed leopard, lived with it for 2 or 3 weeks, and then reverted to tiger. I don't think leopard is ready for prime time as of 10.5.1.

stacks is a broken mess.

the new dock UI changes are non-functional. (the blue fuzzy orb?!?)

despite what everyone claims, when i reinstalled tiger, everything felt faster.

networking is currently a huge pain in leopard

lots of the "cool" features have too many stipulations: intel-only or more RAM than any mac ships with, HFS+ formatted drives (not particularly useful for people who need to interact with windows and move things on external hard drives)

weird glitches all over the place

a new Finder that's barely any better than the old, horribly broken one.

no wireless Time Machine

Front Row won't keep playing when you navigate around the interface

"Smart" (stupid) dock icons break all the UI rules apple helped develop for no reason or benefit

So I could keep going, but I'll stop. Basically, Leopard isn't ready the same way Vista wasn't ready when it was released. And honestly, the same way Tiger wasn't ready at 10.4.0

But Tiger got a LOT better by 10.4.1

I thought Leopard would do the same, but literally none of my concerns were addressed with the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.