I Love My Wife!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sandman1969, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My Wife and I converted to Macs back in 2007. We bought two 24" iMacs and both of us enjoy our computers VERY much. They are things of beauty.

The only problem we have had with them was, both of our Hard Drives failed at almost 3 years old. Luckily, we had extended warranty on them so we got them swapped out and got bigger drives to boot. The Customer Service was a breath of fresh air during that period.

This past October was our 10 year anniversary. I bought her a iPad 2 64GB Wifi. She loves it. While on our vacation I was playing with it, and she said she can't share. So she went out and we bought another iPad2 64GB Wifi for myself.

I've been talking to her about getting our kids moved over to a Mac for awhile. They both have an older PC running Windows 7. Though, my son likes to get on her Mac whenever he can. It is amazing how quiet our office is with their PCs off. They are old and painfully slow at times.

Tonight at dinner my son was asking for Sims Pets for the Mac for Christmas. He loves Sims and it is usually his treat after he finishes his First and Math and his online reading.

My wife told him he should be asking for Sims Pets for the PC. Or you can get it for the MAC after your Dad and I get new Macs.

I have been talking about upgrading our iMacs and give the kids our iMacs.

Sooo, now I have begun the shopping around for our next iMAC. :D Can always pay off the charge come Tax time anyway.

Probably going to look at a couple 27" i5 Refurbs. Maybe get the 6970 for me and the 6770 for her. Or maybe 6970 for both. I don't believe the new iMacs are coming out anytime soon. Though either way it doesn't bother me. If I want it, I don't have patience to wait, unless it is coming out next month.

Sorry for the long and really pointless post, but just excited. Almost as excited when I was ordering these iMacs. Though probably wait until after Christmas. Unless I convince her otherwise... :p

The office is going to be filled with 4 iMacs... Is that crazy? :D

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Hells yeah!!!!

Sounds like it's going to be awesome awesome room.
    Trust me, 27 imac, unless you spend day to day on it, you really do not appreciate what this thing can do.

Congrat!! Welcome to the party!

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Id just get one refurb iMac and give the kids the 24" (max out ram and clean installs will do wonders). Is it entirely necessary for you to each have a 27" iMac?

4. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yes it is entirely necessary for us both to have a 27".

That wasn't the question.

Our MAC's are already maxed out and are wonderful.

5. ThemacNub macrumors regular

So you want an answer to the almost rhetorical question: Am I crazy?

Id say yes because I think it excessive and that money could be spent on much better things, not saying you should donate it away or anything but a holiday for example would be preferable over buying a 4th iMac. What do you intend to use them for and why do you need separate machines?

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

heres a question though what do you do on the computer I know that you want to get the fully loaded computer now like you did in 2007

but the thing about that is in 07 it was relevant to get the most powerful one because all c2duos were so slow any way and 4gb ram is now considered tiny.

with the new iMacs they are all so much more powerful then your c2duos that even the base 25inch is probably 3x faster then your 24inches

what do you too on your computer though if you don't game and don't do any photo editing or anything processor intensive i would just get the bas eline 27 which is so many ti es faster in many ways then your 27inchs

if you though the 24s are fast the 27s will scream

and if you are one of those people that need the best they can buy the 6970 3.1ghz isn't the top of the line btw its the i7 which there are many refurbs of

i would suggest installing an aftermarket ssd too you probably won't notice the cpu upgrade as much as you should but thee ssd will have very noticeable performance to the whole computer

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't be such a wet blanket; OP is excited!

8. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Im just answering the question and asking one to the OP.

9. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

The sooner you get rid of the pc the better. There's nothing like a quiet room full of macs.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It's only crazy if you can't afford it. If you can afford it, go for it.

11. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I didn't ask if I was crazy. I asked if it was crazy. And it was a rhetorical question which didn't need an answer. Because I know it is crazy. But I will get over it. :D

I make good money. I donate a good bit of my money to various organizations as well as a very large chunk to our Church.

Yeah I know the new ones will be MUCH fast than our current iMACs. Not worried about the top of the line. I think the i5 will be plenty, though depends on prices I find when we pull trigger. MIght even wait until January after I see what our Tax return will be. Not even sure if I will go with the 6970 on either of them. However, we have played games on them in the past and would be nice to have the best graphics card for these to extend the life. We plan on keeping them for quite some time. The refurb price isn't a huge difference going to the 6970.

I don't need the fastest, but figure as before to get the best video card now to extend the life.

I do a lot of Music recording with Protools and occassionally garageband, Photoshop editing, and occasional movie/video creation. The wife does a lot of Photo editing and will create the occasional movie/DVD as well. She also plays the Sims games. I also have been working on getting all our DVDs into Digital Format to have them available to our Apple TV and mobile devices.

I am constantly running out of memory when I have everything open at once. I wish I could bump our memory to 8GB, but ours are maxed at 4GB and won't take the newer chips.

Thanks! :)

The whole idea came from wanting to get the kids upgraded to MAC. For several reasons.

Our iMacs are going on 5 years old. Yes they work fine. Yes they could probably work longer. However, this will get our kids moved to OSX. They will have a computer they can use for quite some time and I won't have to worry about their Window boxes which are old Single Core Pentiums which can be painfully slow after awhile.

It might be a little crazy even if you can afford it. But it is the good kind of crazy! :D

Life is too short. It can end in a heartbeat (I have personal experience with that.) I was blessed with a second chance and I want to enjoy every day and occasionally throw caution to the wind and just do it.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Just a crazy idea, but have you considered a MacBook Pro (15" or 17") plus Thunderbolt Display to replace one of the iMacs?

You didn't mention wanting or needing a portable, but it sounds like a MBP would give you the performance you need, and it gives you the option of having a portable Mac (not iPad) for trips... or just to get out of the home office.

13. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yeah I did consider that, but that is definitely out of my $$ ballpark to get what I want. The Thunderbolt display is $999 itself and the MBP would be around $2K. Especially, since it will be two. About $500 more gets 2 27" iMacs with Apple Care for both.

I can see us going the Refurb iMACs in the next month or so. Maybe next year we will get a Macbook Air. Though, when we are traveling we can probably do 90% or more of what I would want to do on our iPads.

14. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Welp, we were talking over dinner about the iMacs and how cool it would be to get new ones. I was telling my wife about the new specs and what not...

Anyway, while we were talking my son tells my wife "Mom, I got a plan"
    She asks "O yeah? What is your plan?"
    He answers "I can't tell you, but if it doesn't work I will tell you. If it does work you are going to have to wait."
    He says he needs to call Granny...

We get the conversation from Granny... Hesitantly he starts "Granny, mommy and daddy want new iMacs. I want to buy them for them, but I just don't have enough money right now. Could you loan me the money and I will pay you back?"
    She tells him "Well Grandson, I will have to check my finances and I will get back to you." He responds "Granny, that would be great. Just let me know"

So later my wife tells me "Ok, heres the deal. We can get them, with one condition." I am like "ummmm ok?" She says "We can get them, as long as we make it seem like he bought them for us."

Love the idea. Granny will work with him and pretend to order them for us shortly.
    Once they arrive she will pick them up and both the kiddos will wrap them up for us. Will get them Christmas.

So, I pulled the trigger on 2 27" iMacs 3.1 i5 with the 6970M.

CAN'T WAIT!! Well I will have to wait until Christmas for them...But that is the extent of my patience... unless I talk Granny into getting Chris to surprise us early!! :D

The kids will get our old 24" iMacs, and I will rebuild their PCs and give them to our nieces for Christmas. Win, Win, Win...

15. visim91 macrumors 6502

Ah, the good life. Nice plan you've got there; your excitement is contagious!
    You should also have your children pay back the "loan" from Granny whichever way you see fit. Don't want to be teaching them how to "default" this early on in the game ;)

16. Sandman1969, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

LoL! Yeah definitely. We were already talking about them doing chores for Granny to help pay her back. Nothing serious as they are pretty young, but it will be good for them and fun for Granny.

Everything just came together perfectly.

BTW, do Refurbs come with Lion preinstalled by now? Or will it be Snow Leopard?

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ok, that's pretty cute! :-D