Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
bought it outright instead of doing the IUP. I would’ve saved the $199 AppleCare forced onto me and I would’ve gotten the sim-free model that save me another $30. Oh well, lesson learned.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I always purchase apple care even though I’m pretty careful with my phones. I’ve never cracked a screen, but better safe to have the insurance than not. It generally takes one accident and then people always insure them. It’s my first year doing iUP, but I generally purchase AC and yet to skip a phone release. Better safe to have it than not.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
do they make you get a carrier specific phone (non unlocked) if you do the IUP?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
$29 OEM screen replacement is enough to justify the cost of AppleCare+.

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
bought it outright instead of doing the IUP. I would’ve saved the $199 AppleCare forced onto me and I would’ve gotten the sim-free model that save me another $30. Oh well, lesson learned.

Why don't you just pay it all off and then ask to cancel the AppleCare, since IUP is basically just a 0% interest loan? Apple will refund the pro-rated AppleCare if you pay it off. The most you would lose is $30 which I assume you got charged for from your carrier.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Not having apple care plus on an iphone is like driving a Ferrari uninsured. If you can afford a Ferrari you can afford the insurance (OR you can probably afford to pay the $300,000 to replace it anyway sooooo) typically money savvy people are both insured and have decent quality stuff.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You can still go to an Apple Store and have them return it, cancel out the iup, and resell it to you at full price. It’s an easy transaction.

Reactions: FFR

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I think AppleCare is a scam especially at those prices. Only a very small minority need it imo. Never had it on any of my phones, iPad or MacBook Pros. I’m just super careful with my stuff. I think if I had kids I would get it tho.
[doublepost=1538351538][/doublepost]
$29 OEM screen replacement is enough to justify the cost of AppleCare+.

Isn’t that only if you crack the front screen?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Isn’t that only if you crack the front screen?
Yes, but at the end of the day that’s what folks are mainly worried about. And knowing you’re getting an OEM screen replaced by a qualified technician is great value. Those using a case, which is 99% of us, aren’t really concerned about the back glass breaking.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Yes, but at the end of the day that’s what folks are mainly worried about. And knowing you’re getting an OEM screen replaced by a qualified technician is great value. Those using a case, which is 99% of us, aren’t really concerned about the back glass breaking.
If it was just the front screen I would maybe at least consider it but now that these phones have glass backs it’s ridiculous to me. My friend cracked their glass back and their Face ID and camera stopped working entirely so apple was quoting them some ridiculous price even though the phone was still under warranty.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
iPhone user since iPhone 4s. I’ve had 4s/5/5s/6/6s/7/X/X Max. I’ve never had apple care nor thought about it. I’ve broken 1 screen and that’s it. Why don’t you just return the phone back to apple. Then buy it outright without apple care etc.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If it was just the front screen I would maybe at least consider it but now that these phones have glass backs it’s ridiculous to me. My friend cracked their glass back and their Face ID and camera stopped working entirely so apple was quoting them some ridiculous price even though the phone was still under warranty.
Under warranty? It’s pretty obvious that your friend caused damage that is not a warranty situation.. AppleCare+ sounds like a great idea for accident prone individuals like your friend

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Hey op, you do realize you have until Friday if that’s what you really want.

Reactions: Pipper99

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
what's it cost for back glass replacement?
So you're at least out 200$ for applecare+ then 29$ for a replacement for front glass only. compared to spending 320$ on a max front glass.
You get two warrantees a year? It still seems better to not get it if you never break phones but if youre prone to dropping it could be good to get depending.
Still expensive only saving 100$ if you break the front glass one time in the warrantees life.

razmonster

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2017
11372↔️90254
what's it cost for back glass replacement?
So you're at least out 200$ for applecare+ then 29$ for a replacement for front glass only. compared to spending 320$ on a max front glass.
You get two warrantees a year? It still seems better to not get it if you never break phones but if youre prone to dropping it could be good to get depending.
Still expensive only saving 100$ if you break the front glass one time in the warrantees life.

$600 to replace the back glass and $329 to replace the front

even with Applecare i would STILL keep tempered glass on the front AND back on my Xs Max. Applecare only allows 2 claims and that's for anything (cracked glass/loss/theft) you only get TWO incidents
anyone who doesn't outfit their phone with tempered glass and cracks their X almost deserves anything that happens

i always recommend insurance through the carrier. i pay $9 a month and it covers everything for as long as I have my phone and i don't have to pay up front for deductibles it's charged to my bill.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
$600 to replace the back glass and $329 to replace the front

even with Applecare i would STILL keep tempered glass on the front AND back on my Xs Max. Applecare only allows 2 claims and that's for anything (cracked glass/loss/theft) you only get TWO incidents
anyone who doesn't outfit their phone with tempered glass and cracks their X almost deserves anything that happens

i always recommend insurance through the carrier. i pay $9 a month and it covers everything for as long as I have my phone and i don't have to pay up front for deductibles it's charged to my bill.
have you ever broken a screen before? how long have you been paying for + for? It really depends on the person is what im saying.
Whats the cost for applecare+ to replace the back glass?
Ive broken one screen in 7 years of being caseless.
If I spent 150$ each phone it would of been well over the cost of one glass replacement.
Its still 230$ for AppleCare plus one glass replacement.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I always tend to buy AppleCare+, although I have never actually had to use it!!

Purchased it again with my XS Max as I like the price of mind knowing should I ever drop the phone or crack the screen, I can get it repaired with minimal cost and minimal fuss.

Currently selling my iPhone X, and have already contacted Apple who will refund me my remaining AppleCare anyways ;)

When it comes to sim-free, I always buy outright direct from Apple anyways, but even if you buy via a carrier once your contract period has ended you can contact your carrier and request they open the handset up. Provide them with the IMEI number and 24 hours later its sim free!!
Picked up an iPhone 7 for my daughter, which was locked, and had the seller (a family member) contact their carrier and its now unlocked to all networks.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I always purchase apple care even though I’m pretty careful with my phones. I’ve never cracked a screen, but better safe to have the insurance than not. It generally takes one accident and then people always insure them. It’s my first year doing iUP, but I generally purchase AC and yet to skip a phone release. Better safe to have it than not.

in australia. cracking a screen:
without apple care - 520$ for iPhone XS max [1040$ for two screen replacements w.o appl care ouch]
With apple care and one off fee - 345$ for iPhone XS max.
second screen crack - 390$ [2x 45$] for iPhone XS max.

as for the back screen i wouldn't be too concerned since i always have a case on it. but even if i was to break the back:
without apple care - 930$ one off fee. 1860$ if u do it twice... might as well get a new phone already by then.
with apple care - 300$ + 150$ = 450$... 600$ if u done it twice [almost a 3x difference in price]

i personally dont rock applecare because i baby my phones like crazy and i dont do the water tests even though i know it's water resistant... and i use a 2-3m /6-10ft drop proof case... like tech21 or otterbox.

imo the best applecare is a case personally... unless you like rocking the phone naked due to naked feel of the phone being better, then definitely get applecare.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Not having apple care plus on an iphone is like driving a Ferrari uninsured. If you can afford a Ferrari you can afford the insurance (OR you can probably afford to pay the $300,000 to replace it anyway sooooo) typically money savvy people are both insured and have decent quality stuff.

Respectfully disagree. Insurance is for major events that would break you if they happened uncovered (think house fire, serious illness, unexpected death of income provider, car accident with injuries).

By the time you pay insurance for EVERYTHING you purchase (extended warranties, etc), you have more than paid for the occasional mishap of something minor (phone breaking).

Mostly smaller "warranties" and insurance are emotional decisions people make, not based in reality on the numbers and probabilities. Most people that are wealthy have coverage on "life changing" incidents, and self insure on the rest.

That being said, if you like going without a case, or know up front that you most likely will break at least one display and will keep your phone and not upgrade every year, it could make sense to get AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.