I *LOVE* PowerMacs!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Archon Gold, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2009
    Canada, Ontario
    *sorry for the absolutely awful pics, crappy webcam*

I just got my 5th PowerMac that was actually donated to me by my fathers work (Thanks Scott if your reading this, though I doubt it) it's a 733Mhz PowerMac G4 Digital Audio and it was upgraded with over 512mbs of RAM and a PCI ATI Radeon upgraded video card along with the original GeForce card. It was also running OS 9 but the computer itself was extremely dusty and even had hair caught in the case fan making it look like streamers when it was on, so after fully cleaning the thing and upgrading the RAM to 1.25Gbs and putting a 120Gb HDD in I was able to hack leopard onto it (very easy and safe to do BTW) and alas i have my fifth PowerMac.

I also have a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (bought for $30)
    PowerMac G3 (traded an old crappy Nintendo DS i didnt want)
    PowerMac G4 "Yikes" (bought for $50)
    PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio" ($50)
    PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio" (Donated to me)

All in all these computers can be found very cheap but for some reasons, processor upgrades are $200 or so which you can buy a G4 MDD Used for that price.

Any others here who admire or use the PowerMac G4 still today?
  2. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2008
    PowerMac's rock! :)

Might be kind of surprising, but at my school in our broadcasting class we still use several PowerMac G4's (Quicksilvers) on regular basis. They aren't really all that bad, we still do video editing on them for the pieces we work on in class.

I think for the most part they still have their original specifications (800/256/60), but they've been upgraded to OS 10.2. They are kind of corrupted in a way... None of them have had the OS reinstalled for years and OS 9 is still on it in classic mode with its files. Until last year, we also used several Power Macintosh G4 AGP towers (400/256/20) running OS 9, also did Video editing in those using iMovie 2.

They are very powerful computers if you treat them right. Many of a time these computers would prove reliable over the other iMac G5s we use also.

Not what you are looking for here but theres even another teacher that has several Power Mac G3 desktops (233/32/4) with OS 9 and uses them to this day. The school got rid of their Mac servers a long time ago and switched all the classrooms over to XP however instead of watching them get thrown out the teacher adopted them so kids could research the internet and such for projects. However, with web standards changing as they are, I doubt they will be useful for much longer without upgrades.
  3. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    I still have my old PowerMac G3 B&W, over clocked it from 366 to 400mhz and put a 32mb Radeon in it and 256mb of RAM and I added a DVD-Ram drive. It has Tiger and Mac OS 9.2 cant even watch a YouTube video on it. I have always wanted a PowerMac G5 but they are still expensive for me.
  4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Feb 13, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I love PowerMacs too.... I still use my G4/450 AGP Graphics model daily (Its pretty standard spec - its my server and iTunes box), and am considering getting a MDD, just because they look cool. I have also had a G4/400 Yikes and a G3/350, but theyve both been given to macless homes.... (I love converting people too)...
  5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2009
    Northern California
    I Love power Mac G4's!my main computer is a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 with 867Mhz. PPC G4 1GB RAM and 2 120GB Hd's.and a 128MB Nvidea Geforce.:D And i use the original Pro Keyboard and Mouse and I have The original box.Oh,I'm running OSX 10.5.8
  6. Genesiscreative macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2009
    Still use my quicksilver DP 1 ghz, I upgraded ram to 1.5gb and installed a Sata card with Sata drives. I'm benching 80 Mbs disk speeds, as fast as my new iMac! I also still have my 8600. In that I upped the ram to 1gb, added a sonnet g4 800 MHz card and replaced the stock scsi drive with a LVD scsi card and seagate barracuda drives. Both machines still work and run great. My only complaint is the noisy fans on the Quicksilver which have gotten noisier with age.
  7. Archon Gold thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2009
    Canada, Ontario
    I tried to overclock my G3 originally, but it was too unstable to even boot (even when it was just 50Mhz faster), the fact that it is a Rev.A 300Mhz which has half the cache memory of any g3 B&W model. Also, i've heard that youtube runs better on older macs when they are running panther.

Just wanted to do an update (sorry if this is considered necro posting, im not sure what the rules for that are)

I just set up my 466Mhz PowerMac G4 Digital Audio (Nicknamed "Vergil") with Mac OS X 10.4 server to be my websites backup server, everyday at 12:00 (lunch) it backs up my website's MySQL database onto a local drive.

I plan to slap another 10Gb drive to mirror the 10Gb that is already in there (a 40gb drive is currently used for the system files and whatnot + a 10Gb is used for MySQL backups only)

8. unixphreak macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2009
    i love Power Macs when they are running Mac OS X Server 1.0-1.2v3, if you have not tried Rhapsody you have missed out!!!
  9. KoJ macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2009
    If I could only get my hands on it.
    Seems quite a rare piece of software.