I LOVE Snow Leopard, don't you? It's the best!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ziggyonice, Sep 3, 2009.

?

Don't you just LOVE Snow Leopard?

1. Snow Leopard works great!

71 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. I had a couple kinks, but they'll work out!

33 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I haven't upgraded yet, but I can't wait to do it!

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Snow Leopard works so great! I just put the disc in, installed quickly, and it works great! The people saying they're having problems are few and far in-between! If you've been holding out, why wait? Just go for it! :)

. . .
    (Forgive me for trying to rant positively, I'm just sick of reading the threads about people who are scared to upgrade because of the newbie posts that are reporting problems.) Tried something POSITIVE for a change!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It was much better than Cats. I will install it over, and over, and over.

3. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I've had my disc sitting on my desk for two days now. I finally decided to get to it. I did a clean install and am impressed.

Not to be cliche, but it's really snappy and I'm surprised at how smooth it is. I was really disappointed when Leopard came out. It seemed like it had been oversold in terms of features, etc. Snow Leopard makes up for that in my opinion.

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Snow Cat is where it's At!!

I really do love it. Easiest upgrade EVER, definitely sped up my UMB, Exposé is now perfect, Finder works wonderfully...I'm HAPPY!

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forgive me for crapping on yet another unnecessary thread but Snow Leopard problems are hardly only experienced by newbies. If your machine is in any way critical, you'd be a fool to upgrade.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my 2008 imac, which was previously *silent,* now sounds like a jet engine. So your poll needs an option for "Snow Leopard has screwed me over."

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I ca't really answer the poll because the enthusiastic exclamation points freak me out.

I think Snow Leopard is "OK". It installed as one would expect it to install, it works like it's supposed to work and I haven't run into any problems. Why would this make me "love" it? Are we supposed to be overjoyed that it isn't broken? It's a working (as far as I'm concerned, others may not have been so lucky) and wholly unremarkable release.

8. alleycat macrumors regular

LMAO! Well said.

I guess objective people don't get an option in this poll. :D

9. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

I have a late 2006 Macbook. Snow leopard should be here Tuesday. I can't wait! :D

10. Skweeky macrumors member

+1

I've gone back to 10.5.8 specifically because of the crazy noise levels my iMac fans generated on SL.

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

The install was comparable to the install time of Leopard. I was kinda thinkin' at that point "yeah, this probably isn't anything great". So my laptop reboots, and I start customizing and just using my laptop as normal. HOLY SH** I was starting to believe I just bought a brand new laptop (this one is a 2007 mbp santa rosa). It runs MUCH snappier, I believe the 64-bit really makes the difference here (IMO, IMO, just to clear any confusion). It is worth the 29 bucks, I have yet to run into any glitches or issues. Not a one.

*knock knock* (need I explain?) =P

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its pretty sweet! nice and fast on my Core Duo MBP with only 1 gig of memory!

but we need some dot updates. my system has some peculiar bugs and Finder crashes a lot.

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I voted "Snow Leopard works great!" and if there were a higher category I would have chosen it :)

To be fair, there is a missing choice for "SL doesn't work", as some people here seem to think... though I can't imagine why. If SL were as buggy as they claim, certainly I'd be able to find at least some of the same problems but I cannot! Aside from a few incompatibilities it must be problems with their systems. I only use software made by good, responsible programmers. I have set up my machine to automatically boot using the 64-bit kernel & extensions and still no issues. Just a much faster, cleaner & very stable OS. I've forgotten what crashing a computer is like ;)

14. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

So far I am not really impressed. I am not seeing much in the way of noticeable speed improvements and certainly stability isn't there yet with various applications crashing even after a clean install (including, bizarrely, Mail when adding an attachment). The idea that it is only the inexperienced are encountering problems is just utter bunk. Why anyone should be experiencing problems is quite beyond me because this whole OS was advertised under the banner of increased speed, stability and security. I don't think I have seen evidence of any of this.

Still, the Exposé enhancements are nice.

15. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I had some issues installing SL, but that was easily fixed by a clean install and a restore from Time Machine. All working well, including iStat Menus and Little Snitch.

One thing I am so happy about is that my Finder windows now open where I left them. Previously, and since 10.5.0, ALL my Finder windows upon first opening them would open (with the animation), disappear (without the anim) and then open again (with the anim), giving the effect that it had been opened twice and closed once. They would open as small windows somewhere on the screen but definitely not where I had left them.

Now, they open correctly, first time, every time. Brilliant!

Now, just got to get used to the new Finder. I've posted a few annoyances in another thread so won't duplicate them here.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had some bumps in the road, but I'm now running SL and I'm very happy.

My printer wasn't working but I'm all set now
    Some of my apps were giving me some headaches but I either can live with them for the time being or an update has already been posted.

17. keerf macrumors member

I have a few hiccups, but other then that *knock on wood* things seem to be pretty good. Speedy too!

18. jointsmoking macrumors regular

It works good for me. I've been a fan o f OSX since the start and this is another step forward. However, it's foolish to diminish the problems that some people have.

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Other than the higher temperatures, Snow Leopard is alright. Can't say I love Snow Leopard because other than Expose/Dock refinements, there hasn't been much change (you can't count GCD and OpenCL because right now, nothing is utilizing that right now).

20. Mac1212 macrumors member

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I rely on my macs for work, rest and play. I installed Snow Leopard and didn't have any problems whatsoever. All my apps work, installation was fast, trimmed a few gb from my Leopard installation.

Can't fault this at all. The quicker boot/shutdown times should minutely speed up production too :p

22. FinalCutJay macrumors member

They ruined Quicktime. Even in the pro version where they hell are all the export options? maybe i only glanced at it and furiously closed it, but all i see are a few crappy untweekable way to send clips to youtube and itunes, where are all the other previous export features?

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I think you're confused with being a newbie and having probelms with SL. :rolleyes:

24. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Did a simple upgrade and I must say I'm impressed.

My UMBP feels so much better now, for only £8.

EDIT: just realised my iSight isn't working no longer, bugger.

25. LOLaMac macrumors regular

I did a clean install and have to say, I am very impressed :) The install was quick and went off without a hitch. After reinstalling all my software, it all seems to be working error free. And no joke, the whole OS seems much more responsive; That whole "it's faster" thing was definitely not just typical Apple hype....it's really fast! And all the "eye candy" is smoother than before and never seems to get bogged down. There are a few minor niggles here and there, but overall I have to say, hats off to Apple. Well done.