I love talking to computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I find it hugely entertaining to sit and give my new ibook commands this is doubtlessly no more and possibly less efficient then using the mouse I still love it ... any one else share my expirience :rolleyes:

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
It's fantastic for showing off, but with LaunchBar I launch my apps almost before finishing the thought of it. I think it has great potential though; when they get to the point where no key is needed and the computer just understand the commands (I know it can be done now, but the it starts failing and hogging the CPU after a short while), it's gonna be great to have the computer do things without sitting in front of it... Computer, play some music from My Favorites; computer, turn off the lights; computer, wake me at 8 tomorrow; computer, call Phill and put him on the speaker...

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I only talk to mine when no one else is around, as cool as it is it feels completely foolish to me. :eek:

eAspenwood

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2005
USA
Making your computer talk

What's also fun is to make your computer talk.

Just open up a terminal window and type the "say" command followed by whatever you want it to say. The more lewd and obscene, the better.

Hours of fun.

Omen88

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2002
Flanders (Belgium)
Maybe some don't know this. You can ask your computer to tell you jokes with speech manager.
You say: "Tell me a joke"
It will reply with: "Knock knock"
and from thereon you will manage :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Omen88 said:
Maybe some don't know this. You can ask your computer to tell you jokes with speech manager.
I don't seem to have speech manager. Well, spotlight finds some related documents but they won't open. :confused:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
devilot76 said:
I don't seem to have speech manager. Well, spotlight finds some related documents but they won't open. :confused:
open up system prefs and you will be able to find it....

speaking to my computer never really entertained me, it wasnt efficient enough, now if the software improves a bit then i will be all for it

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
open up system prefs and you will be able to find it....

speaking to my computer never really entertained me, it wasnt efficient enough, now if the software improves a bit then i will be all for it
Thanks! I just tried it, I agree that it's not very efficient. I said, "Switch to Mail," and it opened iChat. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.