Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
That’s not to say FaceID won’t be awesome.

I have an iPhone 6. I can’t afford to upgrade at this time.

But I love how the smooth, slippery screen leads my thumb into the slight indentation that is the home button, especially without looking at what I’m doing.

It’s been a good design in my opinion.

Now. What I read most here is that iPhones (or any phones) with bezels look “dated”. That seems odd to me. I would think the advantage and selling point is a similar-size phone screen in a smaller form factor. Not that that bezels are somehow aesthetically off putting. But we’re all retarded bandwagon humans.

So yeah. I love my little indentation. If I could afford the X, would I buy it? Probably. But I’d miss the home button. It’s a sweetheart.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
You know what? I love the home button too... but guess what? After the 6, they put in a "fake" home button with haptic feedback/vibration. It feels so unnatural to me. The way I see it, the physical home button as I know and love already is gone from the successors after it.

iPhone X gets rid of the fake physical home button for OLED, and I love OLED.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
You know what? I love the home button too... but guess what? After the 6, they put in a "fake" home button with haptic feedback/vibration. It feels so unnatural to me. The way I see it, the physical home button as I know and love already is gone from the successors after it.

iPhone X gets rid of the fake physical home button for OLED, and I love OLED.

I’ve never seen OLED in person. I bet it’s pretty nice.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I’ve never seen OLED in person. I bet it’s pretty nice.

If you go to BestBuy or some store with TV's on display, look for LG OLED or Sony OLED (Sony OLED panels are manufactured by LG ;)). You will be amazed.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
If you go to BestBuy or some store with TV's on display, look for LG OLED or Sony OLED (Sony OLED panels are manufactured by LG ;)). You will be amazed.

Eh. Just another toy I can’t afford. My 2008 Toshiba with “huge” bezels looks great.

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
time for change...and when they figure out how to get it under the screen...it won't have the indentation anyway...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The IPhone 7 uses a solid-state button which is to help with the water resistance rating. So it's not exactly 'Fake', it's just that it doesn't have a depress. I actually prefer it, I like the tactile feedback and it's a much shorter press and responds quickly.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I recently traded my 6 for an 8 and the new home button (shared with the 7) was an immense improvement. The home button in the 6 felt a little wobbly by comparison. The button in the 7/8 gives a solid "click" feel when it registers while feeling more stable. Its also much faster on the 7/8. On the 6, between the moving button and the slower touch ID I often triggered Siri when i meant to just open the phone. That doesn't happen on the newer phones. Its just easier for me to control.

Reactions: one more and bevsb2

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
i wonder how we will frantically open and close the apple store app next year for the iphone XI if we don’t have a home button to do it. Haha.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The IPhone 7 uses a solid-state button which is to help with the water resistance rating. So it's not exactly 'Fake', it's just that it doesn't have a depress. I actually prefer it, I like the tactile feedback and it's a much shorter press and responds quickly.

I've noticed there is one downside, it does not work if there is nothing conductive touching it. As in, you can't press it with something like rubber gloves or w/e. This does make it easier to clean though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.