Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
i got one for free a couple months ago. i took it apart and cut the motherboard in half then i stabbed the screen. then i threw it in the dumpster.

jparenti

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
i got one for free a couple months ago. i took it apart and cut the motherboard in half then i stabbed the screen. then i threw it in the dumpster.

Ummm.... why?? Either you're joking or you should be banished for cruel and unusual punishment of a Mac. :D

Caramac

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Let me guess, the above genius was trying to open the mac to read the files in it, ala 'Zoolander'. Derek and Hansel are unable to figure out how to even turn on the computer.
The critical files are 'in the computer'. Owen Wilson (Hansel)'s solution involved a balcony and the concrete below. He did not retrieve the files.

For the 2001 movie they used a tangerine 2001 slot loading iMac. Still using mine for plenty not involving loads of video.

Last edited:

iLoveiMacs

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
I have one!

Well.. I kind of bought it for my 5 year old sister lol. She learned how to use a Mac (and any computer in general) on there. I'd say it's better than giving them some VTech crap or something like that..

Anyway this lil' iMac is a beast! 400 MHz G3 with 512 MB of memory and a.. 40GB HDD! lol.. It seriously is such a cute computer. Sis uses it, as you can tell by the Cinderella DVD case next to it.. :apple:

I might add that the speakers are SO LOUD. I love it!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 117

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, yes, the speakers in the iMac G3 slot loaders ruck! I love zem!

Hey now! I grew up on a VTech laptop long before laptops were a consumer item >8\

Caramac

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
My dumb sister: used a G3 tray loader -266MHz with 286Mb RAM and 6Gb hard drive.
After years of use I became its caretaker and discovered that she had installed Panther using the dreaded EASY INSTALL. One GB of printer files and 1 GB of language support and the main OS X 10.3 led to over 50% of the hard drive used before saving a single file.

I cannot lie - that tray drive was the slowest O.E. drive ever. Transferring files via a 10MB/sec LAN hub was faster.

Wiped that old lime iMac and still have it. A GOOD USE: Garageband 2, along with the audio in and out jacks, allowed me to apply full stadium echo, etc to any TV program, etc using stereo system as output. Wild.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
NEEDING old 256MB PC100 or PC133 memory

Hi to all... I work for a school district and like all of them, they are not buying anything and strapped for cash... that includes upgrading some older iMacs, even though they are awesome for the K-3 group. I am looking for some old chips for the iMac G3 Slot load (350MHz - 600MHz) ... I need about 20 chips that are 256MB or bigger to upgrade the old ones to enough memory to run a stripped down tiger image... If any one has some laying around collecting dust, I would be willing to pay the shipping and even offer a few bucks to make it worth your while. My Goal is to replace out some trayload OS9 with these slot loaders running OSX

Any help is appreciated.

jakebrake3202

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Omaha, NE
I wonder if apple will ever bring back the style of the G3 iMac into a new computer for say a 25th anniversary or something. The design would have to be much different, but it could be styled similarly.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I wonder if apple will ever bring back the style of the G3 iMac into a new computer for say a 25th anniversary or something. The design would have to be much different, but it could be styled similarly.

Id be willing to bet they wont, because its widely known Apple never, ever, ever looks back in terms of design, they just keep going forward. I mean, who wants translucent plastics in 2011 when you can have aluminium and glass?, this state will continue to hold. (Also, they didnt do anything for the Macs 25th anniversary in terms of models, so why on earth would they bother doing it for the iMac?)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Original iMac

I was given (for free!) an original Macintosh 1984 Model M00001 and a first model iMac, both in perfect working order. Turning on the iMac is cool, using the Macintosh is mind blowing. (note the floppys and Sim Farm. HA!)

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 106

watchpigsfly

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
Sunny SoCal
Right now, next to me as I'm typing on my MacBook is a Graphite, Summer 2000, slot-loading DV 500 MHZ iMac, all original parts and hardware save for a RAM boost to 384 MB. This machine has seen OS 9, 9.2, 10.2, and finally 10.4 when I went back to basics and restored everything. All original software, including some really old crap from my Power Mac 6100 like the very first distribution of Myst and Aldus SuperPaint. I love it like nobody's business, especially because it still connects to internet and everything!

I think I'm going to post a picture...It's next to an original Apple IIe with all original manuals, receipts, software, etc. appraised at over $500!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.