I love the little things!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njpodder, Sep 19, 2007.

1. njpodder macrumors regular

As a new iPhone owner, I am noticing the iPhone has a lot of neat little things that every cell phone should have, but most never do, such as:

* Sensor to turn off screen when at your ear
    * simple ringer on/off switch
    * auto brightness adjust
    * Sleep mode linked to timer (My favorite, I just found it last night)

That last one makes me wish it had a mode linked to the alarm so that it owuld start playing songs from the iPod, like say when I need to wake up in the AM, wake up to a random song from my music library.

I know everyone has complaints, that is to be expected, but for what it is, this thing really revolutionizes mobile computing. What other neat "behind the scenes" or little secrets have you all found?

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

That sleep mode is one of the best features on the iPhone. I fall alseep to a movie all the time- and don't have to worr yabout it killing th ebattery.

3. njpodder thread starter macrumors regular

Which brings me to another question. I have never put a movie on my video or iPhone, but I would like to. How much space do they take up? Do you buy them fro mthe iTunes store or make your own form DVD's? Before I even jump into that, I want to make sure I can free up enough space for one.

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

The space a movie takes depends on the encoding. A feature length film can take up as much as 700MB or as little as 200MB and still be decent. You can buy them from iTunes, or use Handbrake, and rip them from DVD's you already own.

5. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

might be a daft question but whats sleep mode?

6. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

If you load up the Timer (under Clock), one of the options is to "Sleep iPod". This is what they are referring to in this thread...if you set a timer for 10 minutes and start watching a video, your iPod will go to sleep 10 minutes into the video.

7. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

8. bobznc macrumors member

iPhone as a Wifi Locator

I was at my university's library and there is one place that I love to go and write my papers. I went there yesterday and I didn't get any wifi signal on my powerbook (sadly my university uses pppoe and my iPhone can't connect, but anyway) I took out my iPhone to see if it was getting a signal. It did, but a minimal one. I knew there had to be wifi somewhere near so I began walking around and found a place where the signal looked very strong. Satisfied, I moved my laptop and books. I sat down, looked up, only to find the router slightly hidden in the ceiling.

9. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Thanks for the sleep tip. How the hell did I miss this?

10. Amblinman macrumors regular

Help me out - where is this sleep timer located? I must be really dense...

Edit - just saw the post above describing.

11. dangleheart macrumors 6502

Yup, they have thought through small things like the sleep to iPod.

Talking of clock and timer functions, I found another little useful thing. In the stop watch, there is a lap button. I guess people use it for calculating real laps but I had an interesting use for it. I needed to get an approximate idea on the beat interval of a song that was on the ipod side. So I started the timer and kept hitting the lap button on every beat. It neatly gave me the beat times. I only wish they gave me the lap times to two or three decimals of a second.

Repeating njpodder's wish, how does one wake up to iPod? Is there an option with the Alarm to start the iPod instead of playing any of the ring tones?

12. bamisey macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

oh on the clock, I've noticed the stop watch program is crash proof. Start the stop watch, wait for some mins, turn off phone. You'll find the stop watch still running when turn on the phone and go back to the stopwatch program. This works even through soft resets. One thing I noticed, I synced my iPhone readying it for replacement, restored my data on the replacement phone. To my surprise, yes, stopwatch still running even on this replacement phone without missing a second count from my first launch. OS X is a solid OS. I still have it running about 580 hours now.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea all the little things make it amazing..

I really like the feature where if you put it under your pillow and stroke the screen it'll sing you bedtime songs until you doze off. :apple:

14. dangleheart macrumors 6502

Are you serious about stopwatch settings trasfering to the replacement phone? Stopwatch does continue to run when you simply turn off the phone but that does not really power off the phone. The software does not reset either. If you really power it off, stopwatch does not surive that. Though, it is not that big a deal to implement it just for the wow factor since all they need to store is the start time and a flag that the stopwatch was started. 'running' is just an illusion anyway.