I love the old school scissor rMBP keyboards!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Nov 5, 2016.

1. thadoggfather, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I have had 12" rMB 2015 since around when it came out last year, so I've had it for about a year and a half now

I like the keyboard, and still do, but sometimes its fatiguing. so far, with extensive use, I don't feel that way about my rMBP 13"

fwiw I plan on holding onto my 12" as I like it an awful lot :)

this isn't a troll thread, but it is refreshing to have some wiggle room and key travel after having 2011 air for several years and taking a break

the new keyboard seems OK too in my limited experience of trying the space grey in store, but man, this key travel one not only feels nice again, but I appreciate the spacing and prefer the aesthetic of tall keys (barring the light leak of backlit keys)-- looks really pleasing to me personally

The lack of precision compared to butterfly is kinda nice too, analog-like,
    but I think ideally tall and butterfly would be a winner combo if they ever make that happen

[​IMG]

2. Rigby macrumors 601

It's one of the best, most comfortable and yet thin laptop keyboards I have used (and I had quite a few laptops with good keyboards such as the old IBM Thinkpads). I don't understand why they abandoned it. :( The new touchpad seems like a step backwards too.

3. mmarcus178 macrumors newbie

I also came from an old Thinkpad some years ago that had an amazing keyboard, and I've been in love with the MBP keyboard ever since. It may seem anachronistic to some, but it's one of the biggest things keeping me from upgrading to the new models.

I'm even starting to look at the new Alienware 13" because of all the good things I'm hearing about their keyboard. Kind of a shame.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I loved that keyboard and wish they brought it back. I was thinking this today when I was testing the new MacBook Pro.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I actually hate this keyboard. I was so thrilled when the new MacBook came out in 2015 because of the keyboard.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I think thats fair this is a big subjective thing

for short use, rMB may have a more lasting positive impact

but longer use, I think having some travel is really nice,

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Key travel wears me out. I can type on a shorter key travel with very little press down with my fingers. That's huge for me in terms of speed and accuracy.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

good point too, but I think the lack of confirmation of a key is fatiguing

it does feel like over time more of a touch keyboard with haptic feedback than an actual keyboard, for extended use

bets are off for short term or casual, I think complaints are overblown

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This may be why people feel like the new MacBook Pro keyboard is a refinement to the 12" MacBook keyboard.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

thats a polarizing opinion, I think. and I think to complicate matters theres two different types of rMB keyboards that I've felt: a mushy one and a clickier stiffer one. Mine is the latter, so I didn't feel that much of a difference trying out the 2016 rMBP for a couple minutes in store. Maybe the differences become more apparent at home, or with extended use, butI dunno