I love the "swipe to reload"

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
I love the swipe to reload gesture. Many apps have it and Apple has integrated it in mail. But why don't roll out this feature on additional apps like in Safari. Swipe the page down and the page reloads.

On the Safari it's a "disaster" that Apple has positioned the Stop and Reload button on the exact place. So sometimes when I will stop the page to reload, I accidently hit the reload button.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
With mail new content appears at the top of the inbox...Most of the time you spend your time at the top so all you gotta do is pull down.

in safari you generally scroll a page down... most often you are some way down a page. So to use the pull down to refresh gesture you would have to scroll all the way to the top ( or tap the clock to jump to the top) the pull..... It wouldn't feel natural.

Just my thoughts on why not.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
With mail new content appears at the top of the inbox...Most of the time you spend your time at the top so all you gotta do is pull down.

in safari you generally scroll a page down... most often you are some way down a page. So to use the pull down to refresh gesture you would have to scroll all the way to the top ( or tap the clock to jump to the top) the pull..... It wouldn't feel natural.

Agreed, but I still feel they need some kind of gesture(s) for Safari.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

While I agree with your thought process, I think you should take a look at safari on the iPhone again... You need to scroll to the top to refresh regardless.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
I love the swipe to reload gesture. Many apps have it and Apple has integrated it in mail. But why don't roll out this feature on additional apps like in Safari. Swipe the page down and the page reloads.

On the Safari it's a "disaster" that Apple has positioned the Stop and Reload button on the exact place. So sometimes when I will stop the page to reload, I accidently hit the reload button.
Good idea but like the other poster said, it would become quite cumbersome.
I really like Chrome's fast tab switching. Apple should implement something like in Safari.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
While I agree with your thought process, I think you should take a look at safari on the iPhone again... You need to scroll to the top to refresh regardless.
Yeah, but what if you're just going to the top of the page to click a button?

Gestures are generally a terrible thing to add to a system once it's been out for a while.

Just look at notification center.

Playing games can trigger that, if they involve swiping all over the screen.

Web pages are able to capture swipe gestures, so for Safari to override that would simply be wrong.

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
Gestures are generally a terrible thing to add to a system once it's been out for a while.

Just look at notification center.

Playing games can trigger that, if they involve swiping all over the screen.
Yeah this is one of my big gripes with Android right now. The three soft buttons at the bottom of the screen are always there, waiting to be inadvertently pushed.