I love this computer and I love the keyboard (edit and ssd)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1=1?, Jun 24, 2010.

1. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

It feels soooo nice

so nice that I'm sure it's going to break. I am right aren't I? These keyboards don't last the entire life o' the computer.

Also I'm concerned about the finite read/write cycles. is there something that will do wear leveling/TRIM for me? What's the average life expectancy of these drives?

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

What?:confused:

Be gentle on your keyboard and it will last until the computer dies.

3. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

What what?

It just seems kind of weak, which is part of why i like how it feels. I'm pretty gentle especially with this specific computer.

or are you whatting the ssd business

4. TheAnoyingApple macrumors member

I always look at these type of questions and really think that people are just trying to get proven wrong.. or right. What im saying is that you know what will happen to the keyboard... if you dont take care of it, it will and if u punch it, it will not.

Its like asking... can my macbook last more than 2 years... everybody knows that the answer is 'yes, under proper care', its just that the people who ask these questions are trying to get people support them.

Sorry, im in a bad mood.

5. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

Yeah I can tell and you don't know how to spell annoying.

oh ps certain computers have weak parts all the time. just saying

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

I just read an article that said current SSD's will last 50 years if you write 20 gig to them daily. Is that long enough? The bigger issue is the non-trim support of the OS.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

50 years is good enough for me, I'm planning to keep this for 2 or 3 years...

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

The keyboard will probably last, but there will be a good deal of wear and tear after a while. Apple really hasn't caught up to other manufacturer's standards of coating the keys with a wear-resistant finish. It will most certainly remain functional, though.

9. gaselectric macrumors newbie

After owning many Thinkpads in the past (and will into the future), I was pleasantly surprised to know that my MBP's keyboard was, simply put, AMAZING.

Thinkpads are known - rightfully so - for their keyboards but, after using my MBP, I don't think Apple is far behind.

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I found MBP keyboards superior on quality and feeling, didn't used anything like them. And this MBPs keyboard is better than the one one my white MB

11. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

awesome

link?

and do macs have the latest ssds? :)

12. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

And why not?

I thought Macbook Pros are about Quality and long lasting?

Interesting because to me my MBP's keyboard feels very very soft and like the OP I feel like it is going to break if I type really fast. I seen the old MBP version of the keyboard and it looks more durable than the ones on the newer MBPs.

13. Inside_line macrumors regular

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

You can read the whole thing or just scroll half way down.... to 51 years. The current toshiba drive is the latest technology, most of the drives people use on this forum are all the latest tech. SSD has been around a lot longer than most think, it's just recently come to consumer products.

14. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I really like the MBP keyboard, it's one of the nicest I've typed on and certainly the best I've used on a notebook, the only issue I have with it is how it get's greasy really easily. it's not that flimsy compared to some other notebooks I've used. Not owned one long enough to know how it'll last the test of time though.