Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Now my wife hates it when I'm on the computer and hates it even more when I open up and swap things around (I used to have a custom built gaming PC that I would sell parts on craigslist and upgrade.)

Now that I have my Mac Pro its soo much easier to upgrade it.
You know when you first get parts in the mail and just instantly want to go ahead and install them, instead of waiting til later to do it.

Upgraded ram, cpu, added gpu, two ssds and 2 hard drives in under 10mins! all before my wife finished getting dressed before we headed out.

Just starting a I love my switch to Mac Pro thread. Finally I'm all mac as i started out with a macbook pro upgraded several times, and added mac mini as HTPC, and finally started my business so i decided to sell my gaming pc and upgrade to mac pro to suit my needs.

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Now my wife hates it when I'm on the computer and hates it even more when I open up and swap things around (I used to have a custom built gaming PC that I would sell parts on craigslist and upgrade.)

Now that I have my Mac Pro its soo much easier to upgrade it.
You know when you first get parts in the mail and just instantly want to go ahead and install them, instead of waiting til later to do it.

Upgraded ram, cpu, added gpu, two ssds and 2 hard drives in under 10mins! all before my wife finished getting dressed before we headed out.

Just starting a I love my switch to Mac Pro thread. Finally I'm all mac as i started out with a macbook pro upgraded several times, and added mac mini as HTPC, and finally started my business so i decided to sell my gaming pc and upgrade to mac pro to suit my needs.

I'm exactly the same i've gone crazy with upgrades, I bought the cheapest old Mac pro on bay just so I could upgrade it and it's going great now! I love the feeling of something arriving in the morning for me to install!

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Love my mac pro and upgrading it is awesome. It's so beautiful inside, love it

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
I hate upgrading my macpro. There is always the possibility of something going wrong. But do it because sometimes it has to be done.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I miss being able to upgrade, something I could do on my last homebuilt desktop. With the mac pro you can just do the easy stuff, like ram, HD, ODD, PCI-E junk and to a little extent the graphics card.

I remember changing out motherboards, cpus (guess you still can), cases and fans.

Not that I liked doing it because it meant something was broken or outdated, thus costing me money, but I did have fun while doing it.

SkyNite

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
I'm lucky; my wife also gets excited when I get something new for my MP. :) She doesn't always understand the technical details, but she gets "contact excitement" from the process.

The most fun recent upgrade was an OWC SSD. What a Mac performance rush! :cool:

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I seem to do less and less upgrading as I get older. Now with 4 kids, I tend to build for longevity rather than for the here-and-now. The Imac that is downstair is 4 years old, and running on it's second hard drive. The first one was a 250gig that was replaced with a 500gig when it started getting full. With just my wife using it, it should last a long time. My main computer is an '09 Mac Pro. It is set up with final cut express, an SSD, and two other hard drives. I hope to get at least 5 years out of this machine.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Me too. It was really a pleasure installing 12GB OWC RAM and my four existing WD Black 1TB drives in my new MP. Now I'm trying to decide if my XP mini wants to become a Windows 7 64-bit mini with 8GB RAM and a 7200 RPM HD, maybe the coming Hitachi 750GB one. And the late 2008 MBP really wants a 7200 RPM HD or SSD and a 4GB RAM card in one slot.

I just love to tear things apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.