I love you Sony...wait, what? (PS3/Blu-ray goes portable)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 8, 2008.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sony. The last music label to offer DRM-free music. The company that put rootkits on their CDs to stop them from being copied. The company whose movie format (Blu-ray) implemented more DRM than their competitor. Guess what they're doing now?

Well, those darn evil people at Sony have become...the first company to provide a legal method to rip movies?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/843/843979p1.html

I'm curious about the formats; will it be an MPEG-4 file that will play on an iPod too? In all likelyhood I'd expect that movie companies wouldn't let them get away with it if they don't wrap the output file in some kind of DRM, but it is still absurdly cool that you can finally rip a Blu-ray movie and toss it on a PSP.

I applaud Sony greatly for this.

Now let's see Apple get this in iTunes :D

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah its great since I buy all movies on Blu-Ray now (well... except those cheapy $8 DVD's at Bestbuy n stuff) so if they are nice and let my put them on my Mac or iPod (pppppppppplllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee) it would be sweet but even so, it might make me use my PSP for movies more often.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The SOBs...how dear they try to make my life less complicated ;)
    It would be interesting to burn my blu-rays for my PSP/ipod though...good thinking.

Bless

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A very nice move! Oddly enough I think I "requested" this feature a long time ago, but for DVD to PSP.

Hopefully it sparks a big change in which you don't just buy the film, but a license of sorts to play the film on any device you own. Unlike now where you have to step into legally gray area of Mac The Ripper and his DVD ripping friends.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Wow! I had no idea you had such clout. It's kind of cool that you were a part of making this happen. :)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How long before the hackers crack it and work out how to copy full BD ?

Great idea for some I guess, but personally I never watch movies on the move anyway.... (just watching Harry Potter : OftP on BD as it happens :) )

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They would get a PSP version of the film which would look rather craptacular on a full size HDTV. They also would lack the dolby/dts/THD audio tracks. They wouldnt get the BD content from it..

Batting negative nowadays MRU? Need a vacation? :p ;)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not being negative Ed.. honest.. Just my usualy sceptical of everything self :D:p But if your offering a vacation out of this craptacular weather were having hear I'll gladly accept :D

No I meant if they found a loop hole / backdoor which allowed them access to the HD version of the film. :) Just like how the hackers find loop holes in most formats at some point, I wondered if having this feature might inadvertently give them more of an opportunity, but trying to remember because there hasn't been any mention in a long time, but didn't they manage to rip a BD in Linux a while ago ?

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Nothing is hacker proof, its kinda like buying a car alarm. You can buy the best one you can afford but at the end of the day if someone wants the car they will take it.

BD is about being pro-active to protect the IP on the disc, no one can guarentee 100% protection but BD does offer a lot of security if the studio chooses to use it.

Tell ya what, you pick up the flight and I'll give you free room and board ;)

Ed

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There already are BR rips. 1080p, DTS and all that.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Isn't Fox owned by Sony Pictures? Fox DVD's will have an iPod compatible version of the files on the DVD.

The Blu-ray is a different story. Sony can decide to only make a PSP/Walkman version ONLY of the file since these devices to compete with the iPod/:apple:TV...

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow...the last company to give up DRM on musiv goes and pulls something like this.

Now, let me do it on my Mac/PC for an device, and I'll just die!

But hot damn, Sony might know what their doing!:p

13. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Sounds like Sony are really trying to give consumers what they want. :)

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

From my understanding of it....you don't actually "RIP" the blu-ray copy, but rather the Blu-Ray disc will come with two copies of the film: one in high def(obviously), and the other in standard def in a format that the PSP(and hopefully other devices) supports. Now I do also know that Sony has decided to ditch its proprietary DRM solution ATRAC(for sound) and go with the windows media DRM solution, but how this affects video is anyones guess. I am highly anticipating more details on this topic.

15. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Cause im gonna spend my time and effort to watch a movie with 1920*1080 resolution on a screen 400ish by 270ish...

16. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm curious the source- AFAIK, today at CES was the first time Sony's ever showed it off. There has been no other information released that I'm aware of...did I miss something?

We know that in Fox's case there's an iTunes version of the movie shipping on the DVD, but nobody knows how Sony is pulling it off with Blu-ray.

Either way, I anticipate more details too.

17. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

this is awesome. I own both a ps3 and a psp. Now if only the psp was as good as the iPod touch at surfing the net.

18. buffalo macrumors 65816

Good idea, wish/hope there is a way to stick the file onto an iPod. Is there an official release from Sony stating when this update may come?