Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Last September I switched to a Mac after 28 years in the Microsoft World. I told myself that there would be no Microsoft software on any of my machines. I used iWork and got used to it.

Friends told me that Office 2008 for Mac was really good, so I decided to give it a try.

I installed it on my iMac. Install went fine, installing the updates was a big problem. It kept telling me that Office was not on my system even though I could clearly see it and run it. I called MS Support and was told this was a known issue. So I had to uninstall and reinstall. Spent hours on it.

Today, I installed Office 2008 on my old iMac that I had sold to my friend, and both the install and update went well, so I thought that these problems had been resolved. I decided to install it on my new Aluminum Macbook. Install went ok. Update got stuck on "Running AutoUpdate Installer Script" Nothing I could do but Force Quit. It being a Sunday evening, I could not get hold of MS Support either. They wonder why people don't like MS Software?

backwithblack

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
I ran into this problem as well and then realized that a window/prompt had popped up behind the installer. I forget what it said but after selecting one of the options, the installation continued as it should.

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
There are various instructions on Mactopia about these issues. Turns out that I needed to install 3 previous versions before the update 12.1.3 that was available, it would have been nice to know this. I had 12.0 from the CD and had to install SP! Update 12.1.0 and then12.1.1 and 12.1.2 and then 12.1.3 Jeez, what a hassle.

I ran into this problem as well and then realized that a window/prompt had popped up behind the installer. I forget what it said but after selecting one of the options, the installation continued as it should.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I share your sentiments. I uninstalled Messenger and this prevented me from ever updating Office. If you change ANYTHING you will have MS throw a fit. I used XSlimmer and it flipped-out.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
For me, I resolved the problem of "running autoupdate installer script" by just quitting the MS AutoUpdate app. Seems like it is stuck there, so before you click install, completely quit, not just close the window of MS AutoUpdate. Then click install to your leisure.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Update got stuck on "Running AutoUpdate Installer Script" Nothing I could do but Force Quit. It being a Sunday evening, I could not get hold of MS Support either. They wonder why people don't like MS Software?

You should forward this to Steve Ballmer under the subject line: "Microsoft Tax"

mt

Setien

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
I keep wondering why mac users are using microsoft office at all?
OpenOffice, NeoOffice and iWork all read and write office files, and the former seems to have something resembling feature parity with MS' (expensive) offerings.

And to be fair, as nice as Apple software is on Mac OS X, it sucks ass on Windows, so the opposite is also true. I guess the biggest difference is that Apple's Windows software is free, so at least you don't have to pay for the pain.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Apple software does not suck ass on Windows. People have different standards. So on Windows, ppl think that if the software isn't buggy and useless and filled with viruses, it must suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.