I mac mid 2007 as monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by efthimisvaf, Feb 25, 2012.

1. efthimisvaf macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an old imac (mid 2007) which i dont use it anymore since i bought a better computer. I wonder if I could do some "surgery" on it and convert it as a standalone monitor. I know that it has not video-in capability so I have to put apart the proccesor, hard drive etc and keep only the power supply and maybe the video card, so it wont be a computer anymore. Maybe I will manage to put a hdmi port in it. Any ideas if its possible? sorry for my bad english

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Have you looked into screenrecycler?http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

That won't work. You can't pull stuff out and expect things to work. How would the video get anywhere? There is no video-in, and the video is part of the logic board.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The video card on most Intell based iMacs, including the mid-2007 ones, is a separate replaceable/upgradable part.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I don't think this will work on anything older than the 2009, 2010 models which support video input but only once the OS is up.

Cheers,

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

But the video card will not function without the CPU running, so I view it as part of the logic board.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You phrased your original statement to indicate that the video chips where soldered onto the logicboard, like on Macbooks and Minis.