I-Mac Staqtr up woes - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yingjtan, Nov 18, 2007.

1. yingjtan macrumors newbie

Was surfing My Space on my I-Mac with Safari when application froze. This happens often 3enough and I usually off the power and just restart. Been doing this for 2-3 years with no problems.

But today the I-mac has a problem. After I restart tyhe power it seems to start up fine, I see the Apple logo, the icon for OS10 loading, blue screen for several seconds then instead of getting my desktop and icons I get a dark screen with the following message in the top leftb hand corner:
    Darwin/BSD: (my name-computer-local) (console)
    Login:

I've tried logging in using all known variations of my name including the only password that I've used for the last 2-3 years on this computer but I keep getting back to the same dark screen with that Darwin/BSD message. I've tried all the known shortcuts including holding Option key down on restart as well as other shortcuts but no success.

Anybody have any suggestions?

(I'm on OS10 v5.3(???) and this is one of the older white I-Macs on the half spherical base.)

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

did you ever get this worked out?

I'm having the same problem with the retired PowerBook in the signature line.

I was able to get the user name and password to work, but had to plug in an external keyboard.

But what next? I tried all of the commands I could think of, but no luck.