I made a decision....rMBP 13 vs MBA 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ncage1974, Mar 6, 2013.

  1. Ncage1974 macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
    Hopefully this thread might help those that are in the same situation i'm in.

    I currently am not a mac user but am a convert from win 7/8. I been trying to decide for a week whether i wanted the MBA w\8GB of RAM or rMBP (base) 13.

    To be honest with you i really wanted to wait for haswell but no one has any ideas on when apple will release the refresh. It could be june and it could be mid to late fall. For some reason something in me is telling me it will be mid-late fall but know one knows (especially considering intel isn't releasing haswell until june). I didn't want to wait that long. I currently lug my HEAVY dell xps 17.

    I really wanted a rMBP 13 but there are just to many people reporting the lag problem. Sure some don't see it but plenty of people do. It might be hardware related and it might be something apple fixes in software (update or maybe next OSX version). They haswell version will probably be a lot better.

    Then you look at the MBA. They didn't receive the heavy discounts that the rMBP just received. If they did it would have been more tempting. So what am i to do?

    I discovered apple is selling refurbished MBA on ebay that come with a 1 year warranty for just 899.00 for the current version and they don't charge sales tax (at least for me) and with that price when the new MBA/rMBP airs are released i can probably unload the MBA i'm buying and not loose that much money. I thought this was a great option and allows me to wait for haswell release (so if its fall its fall). Its not that big of a deal now.

    I thought this would maybe give some options to people in my situation. If you currently can wait then you probably should but if you need to buy something (or it it pains you not to be able to get a machine now) then this i think is a great option. The only bad thing is i really wanted 8GB of ram and the one im getting will only have 4GB.

    Best of luck....
  2. xShane macrumors 6502a


    Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    That sounds fishy. Why not just buy refurb directly from Apple at store.Apple.com?

    If you want the power of the rMBP but don't want to go for the MBA, then you should take a look at the normal MBPs (non-Retina).
  3. robvas macrumors 68030

    Mar 29, 2009
    If you can get a 2012 refurb for $899, go for it.

    That way if you end up not liking the Mac you can sell it and aren't out as much money as if you bought a more expensive machine.
  4. pshifrin macrumors 6502


    Mar 14, 2010
    Apple is not selling a computer on eBay. Someone is selling an apple computer on eBay. Be careful.
  5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816


    Aug 10, 2012
    The op is actually correct, apple started testing the waters on eBay. It's a genuine apple refurb.
  6. maliu macrumors 6502a

    Jun 24, 2010
    Yes I read about it too. Apple IS selling on eBay.
  7. slicecom macrumors 68020

    Aug 29, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    It's not Apple, but is an Apple Authorized Reseller that offers full warranty etc...

  8. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Jun 29, 2009
    I checked out the ebay listing and towards the bottom, it says Returned to like-new condition, does this generally mean parts are replaced?
  9. shroogis macrumors newbie

    Jun 24, 2010
    I was in the same boat as you...deciding between the same 2 laptops you were. I was worried about the "lag" as well with the 13" retina, but when they dropped the price I immediately pulled the trigger. I didn't even touch one before picking it up from the Apple store using my friends discount....I have not noticed any "lag" to this day. I think people are blowing that out of proportion.

    Either way, you made the right decision going from a Windows machine to anything OSX. Your computing life will be much less frustrating! Enjoy :)
  10. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
    According to this many people suspect i to be apple:

    It even has most the same polocies (14 day no questions asked return policy).


    No Ann it doesn't. Each one is a different story. A lot of these refurbs are just stuff people return because they didn't want it for whatever reason, but of course, they could have replaced malfunctioning parts like the SSD or whatever. Its really not that big of deal. They just want to assure you that you won't be getting a labtop with scratches and the link on them. Most of the refurbed products i've bought in the past you couldn't really tell the difference from a brand new one.
  11. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    Wait for Haswell and then buy a MBA or MBP, i believe you can buy something like this in June-July max
  12. Sean76 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 10, 2013
    This is just my 2 cents...

    Stay away from ebay and refurbs, again just my opinion.

    Anything you buy I'd only get directly from Apple or a very reputable dealer and just play it real safe.

    I have the 13 inch rMBP currently and have also owned a 13 inch MBA...The difference between the 2 are night and day IMHO, I just wouldn't be able to go back to the Air again...One because of the screen on the Air when compared to the retina, and two because of that metal bezel around the screen. It never bothered me at first but after a while it just became an eye sore to me and over time would collect small little nicks that would drive me nuts.

    I'd say get the 13 inch rMBP, but that's just my advice...Also I see absolutely no lag, I also believe like another poster said that it's blown way out of proportion.


    Apple is funny like that...You never really know when they'll drop new stuff. I'd say 3 weeks max after it's announced. However Apple has big plans for a lot of things for 2013...You have a new ipad, new mini, new iphone or iphones, and to some degree new laptops. I think the new laptops are coming in early fall if you ask me. And I also think it's going to be a big change, meaning a brand new Air as well as some major bumps in specs when were talking about the Pro line.
  13. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
    Yes which might me correct and might be incorrect. Everyone has their opinions on the release date of the haswell refresh but, at this point, its just conjecture. Just like the Iphone 5 there were people that swore it was going to be released in June 2012 @ MWC.
  14. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
  15. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

    May 20, 2011
    I agree with this, I did the exact same thing, It never crossed m mind to spend that kind of money on a retina, but once it dropped in price I pulled the trigger and mine is perfect.
    I say go for the Retina. If it does have the issues you described, return it for an Air. Simple.
    You even said in your post that you REALLY wanted a Retina, so get what you want. Don't make compromises because other people had problems with theirs or you wont be happy with what you buy.
  16. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
    Well i do want to retina but i also want a haswell refreshed mac :). This will just tie me over until then and i'm pretty sure i won't loose that much money when i go to sell it later this year.
  17. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2012
    update 1

    Want to keep everyone updated for who every is interested. So far great communication. They shipped fast. I almost chose 2 day air but i'm glad i didn't since it will only take 1 day to get here with UPS ground.

    Oh yes and buy the way if you sign up for ebay bucks when you buy you almost get $20 in ebay bucks to buy whatever on ebay.
  18. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2012
    OP, you made the right choice... You will be happy (I to a windows guy went to mac recently, had an Air but went to a 15 for desktop replacement).

    anytime i hear someone on this forum say they are "waiting" for haswel i just think of the Samsung galaxy S3 commercial and Lol at them.
  19. xShane macrumors 6502a


    Nov 2, 2012
    United States
  20. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

    Ultra AleM

    Jun 22, 2012
    The MBA is better. It is lighter and thinner and has better graphics performance, having less pixels. It costs less, too.

Share This Page