Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inhalant

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Calgary
Ok, many of you are going to look down upon me due to my actions this morning. At 8:15 AM i had managed to buy my unlocked iPhone 6 from the Calgary Chinook Centre Apple Store. Since I hate Rogers (Thoroughly hated Canadian provider) I had decided to cut my iPhone 4's micro sim into a "nano sim" for my iPhone 6 in order to avoid possible extra charges. The SIM door had shut perfectly, and bars began to show in the upper left corner. Due to my inexperience, I had never thought about taking the sim out. I try, yet the sim door will not open, as if jammed shut. Would I possibly be able to take this to Apple? I feel like a ********* ******* right about now.

If not, I get 3G. At least it works, I suppose?

Ifixit, maybe?

(PS: I love this phone)

Last edited by a moderator:

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
i tried to cut my sim card into nano last year,was a big fail so i just went to rogers it was 10 dollars of nano sim.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Apple specifically does not warranty problems with cut SIM's. If you can't get the door open by holding it in various different positions, it may have to be opened to get it unjammed.

Inhalant

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Calgary
Yeah, I just picked up a new SIM card. I'll head to Apple tonight. Will they charge me for any maintenance?

----------

Apple specifically does not warranty problems with cut SIM's. If you can't get the door open by holding it in various different positions, it may have to be opened to get it unjammed.

Ok, that's what I thought. I'll have to do it myself, then. My questions are answered.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'll head to Apple tonight. Will they charge me for any maintenance?

Just a guess that maybe they'd take care of it as a gesture of kindness if you went in with a good attitude and it were fairly simple for them to do. Maybe they wouldn't. A sixpack of beer in a brown paper bag wouldn't exactly hurt your chances though... :)

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Why didn't you just get a new sim? It's free at the Apple Store and yes I am in calgary as well..

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Just a guess that maybe they'd take care of it as a gesture of kindness if you went in with a good attitude and it were fairly simple for them to do. Maybe they wouldn't. A sixpack of beer in a brown paper bag wouldn't exactly hurt your chances though... :)
Hehe I should try this. I remember I was at the genius bar 3 days in a row for about 3 hours when my old MacBook Pro broke, I felt so bad because it was the same genius bar girl, she was super nice but I was about to go offer her something to eat on me (especially since the repair ended up costing nothing).

Why didn't you just get a new sim? It's free at the Apple Store and yes I am in calgary as well..

Because its easier sometimes! I have a SIM card "punch" which converts mini-SIM and micro-SIM's to nano-SIM's...never got jammed when I tried the shaved version in my 6, 5c, and 3G....sometimes you have to shave the top off though as the nano-SIM is actually a tad thinner than the other specs in addition to being smaller...but again the tolerances in my iPhones never seamed to care...Idk I guess I like the idea of a SIM card functioning like..you know a proper SIM card! Being able to just put it in your new phone sans calling your provider....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.