I may get a zoom recorder - I am undecided between ...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by igmolinav, Nov 6, 2010.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I may get a zoom recorder. I am inclined to get the smallish H2. However, reading some reviews, they say that the H2 picks up quite a bit of background noise and is apparently difficult to control.

On the other hand, the Zoom H4n is almost 2.5 times more expensive, and according to reviews, it has unnecessary functions, it is difficult to use, it has poor quality construction, and poor sound quality.

What do you think? Which one would you get ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

About the background noise, that is usually because the microphone is to far from the subject. You have to get in close. Very close if you can.

As for which one to get, no one will be able to give informed advice unless they know how you intend to use the recorder. So tell us your intended use(s) and your budget

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I have an H2 (sitting in front of me recording a hard drive noise). It is great We set it up in the middle of my bands practice space and record in surround for a great mix. I find the menu system and controls to be pretty clunky and FAR from intuitive. Other than that, it's great.

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you to all of you for your answers : ) !!!

The Edirol looks amazing. I remember looking at an Edirol some five
    years ago, and this one looks very nice. I'll look a bit more into it.
    It seems to me that it falls more into the category of the Zoom H4n.

I would give it different uses:

a)I would like to record interviews.
    b)I would like to record conversations. I am living abroad and I can't pick up everything is being said while in a conversation.
    c)I would like to record lectures, I am a grad student.
    d)I would like to do documentaries and short films. I think it would be good
    to have one of these to record the interviews and/or the dialogues.

By background noise, is it meant "hiss" ?? Or, say, I am recording a conversation next to me, (no farther away than two feet or some 60 cm.), and another conversation takes places 15 feet away, (or approx. 5 meter).
    Is the farthest conversation with the H2, (or H4n), also recorded ?? Would it be not so complicated to clean those background noises for people like myself who are very new to all this ??

Are the Edirol and the Zoom H4n clunky and not very intuitive ??

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Fir video work where the subject is cooperative it is much better to mic the subject with a clip-on lav mic or to hold a directional mic on a boon just out of the frame. When people talk abou t "close mics" they mean inches not feet.

If your mic is 2 feet from subject and there is another person speaking 5 feet away, also in the mic's pick-up pattern then the ratio of volume will be the inverse of the two distances squared. Nothing you can do about it. Except (1) move your mic to 1 foot rather then two and gain a factor of four (two squared) in volume ratios and (2) use a mic with a more narrow pattern so as to possable not pick up the other conversation. Most people in the busines will do as much of both as they can

No there is no way to "scrub" the other sound off the returning when both are talking at once. You can scrub during periods of pauses in your dialog but it's hard to make that sound natural

7. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answer : ) !!!

If one is recording a conversation, and then there is another one taking place nearby. As you mentioned, the microphone will pick up that as well. Is it possible through software to "highlight" the main conversation and "blur" the other one a bit as well ??

Very kind regards,

igmolinav