I may have been wrong....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dorkington, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

...and if I was, I wouldn't be happier.

I, along with many others, predicted there was no way there would be a resolution doubling (really the only way to cleanly increase the res) for the next iPad.

But with the iPadx2, the expensive screen parts and the dual core cpu AND gpu chips all rumored... it's looking likely that I may have been wrong!

The iPad2 is shaping up to be one killer piece of hardware if all that is true. And if so, I will certainly be a bit poorer when launch comes around. :D

Hopefully, they bump up the ram to 1gb, because right now, that's the only thing holding the current iPad back imo.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I still believe that all of this is purely conjecture at this point. Yes there are some telling signs that it may have dual GP's, and 4x the resolution (doubling each direction) and possibly dual CPU's, but until it is released I am not believing it. Too many people believed that iPad 1 was going to be an OSX based device rather than iOS right up until it was released.

However, if all does come true then I will sing Apple's praises.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when you try to talk authoritively on a subject which you know absolutely nothing about. :D
    And yet... you're still doing it?! :confused:

4. OptyCT macrumors 6502

For those that haven't figured out Apple by now, you'll know that the first indication that a new piece of Apple hardware is on the horizon is that suppliers become strained. The suppliers become SO strained that no other competitor can purchase that component. Many people ask, why can't another company build an iPad clone? It's because there are no iPad parts available. You want to build a tablet with a 9.7" 1024x768 LED-backlit IPS display...good luck finding that display component from any supplier. So, you can bet that if there's a higher-resolution 9.7" screen available somewhere in the world that Apple already has an exclusive purchase agreement with that manufacturer. Apple wouldn't allow one of its competitors to put a higher-res screen in their tablet product (assuming their product is the same form factor as the iPad).

5. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Certainly not. Please see key qualifiers such as "may".

I have no idea what's going to happen. There are certain indicators pointing in certain directions, and my own sense of logic/cynicism pointing another direction.

Hopefully *I'm* wrong, and the tech rumor sites are right. :D

6. mklnk macrumors regular

I can't wait for the iPad 3.

I'm really impressed with both the look and rumored stats of the new iPad. The look of this one is more in line with what I would've preferred my iPad 1 to look like. The only catch is I refuse to upgrade the iPad after a year. The thing just works too good to justify replacing.

So, here's hoping the version 3 isn't a step backwards.

7. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

The good news is, you can probably sell your used iPad for 75% of the as-new cost in April. So upgrading won't cost you that much in the end.

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

lol, sorry, I was only winding you up! :D
    I personally would love it if even half of the rumours turned out to be true. Very much looking forward to iPad2. Almost certainly a release-day purchase for me.

9. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Very true and it could all be a false alarm. However unlike the OSX rumor we have some tangible evidence on top of rumors.

If we found some mention of the iPad in the OSX update and gotten a part number that pointed an OSX-compatible tablet that would've been a different story but we never had anything like that. For the current rumors at least we have a new display going at a significantly higher price than the old one, name of the new GPU in the system file and some images referring to the new resolution, so it's not all baseless rumor. The actual evidence corroborates very well with rumors we've heard.

Having said all that I'll be sooo let down if this is all but rumors. :(

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the screen rumor is just that, a rumor. While more and more evidence is pointing to this, until apple comes out and announces the product we're still dealing with conjecture.

11. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have patience to battle against release day buyers, I'll probably just order online and wait patiently :D